Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Person, Same Scam, eBay....maybe?

Buyer, tanzi91304, has 126 feedback since 2003 and made offer on $150 card. Then he sends me this ....

Okay. I would love to have it mailed to my daughter in Mississippi as a birthday present, please can you get an eBay gift card of $400 inside the package before you ship, would appreciate you assisting me with this cause i work away from home on a business trip and i won’t be back until February and i’m not in the right position to have it mailed out myself. I will add $400 to your payment for the eBay gift card, $30 for has and $50 to cover the shipping handling.

No way this is legit, right?

Between, shipping to unconfirmed address, which I never do, and paying my paypal direct rather than through eBay, then adding in extra stuff that will surely be charged back....does anyone fall for this stuff???

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

So he only made you an offer at this point.. decline, block and move on. Thanks for the heads up in the username.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 5:19PM

I really wonder what business trip lasts over three months during a global pandemic. Especially one that makes it convenient to buy sports cards but not gift cards. Mind asking him?

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Notta chance. Don't do it.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 3:43PM

business trip is to Nigeria.

i just looked at the bay profile. On the profile she writes "im a mom of 4 fulltime student currently working part time due to school hours"

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

right,

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Block and move on. Likely hacked eBay account

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd respond to a deposed emperor asking me for my checking account routing number to claim my reward before I responded to this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 6:51PM

what a terrible dad. he's gone for 3 months and just thinking about a birthday gift? no christmas gift?

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

She sounds hot!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clayshooter22 said:
    Buyer, tanzi91304, has 126 feedback since 2003 and made offer on $150 card. Then he sends me this ....

Okay. I would love to have it mailed to my daughter in Mississippi as a birthday present, please can you get an eBay gift card of $400 inside the package before you ship, would appreciate you assisting me with this cause i work away from home on a business trip and i won’t be back until February and i’m not in the right position to have it mailed out myself. I will add $400 to your payment for the eBay gift card, $30 for has and $50 to cover the shipping handling.

Between, shipping to unconfirmed address, which I never do, and paying my paypal direct rather than through eBay, then adding in extra stuff that will surely be charged back....does anyone fall for this stuff???

Mike

Something that should be understood, is once somebody falls for a scam such as this, it's usually not over. The person scammed is placed on a sort of "cream" mark list for scammers, and more scam attempts would be coming. Not just thru Ebay, but also postal mail, email, phone calls, etc.

There's always a "fishing expedition" going on with scammers worldwide. They especially like to target the elderly who sometimes can be a bit mentally infirm, and more likely to fall for various types of scams.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send him my way. I have extra time to waste on their dime.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

definite scam. they will likely be asking you to ship to an address other than the one listed on PayPal. and the ebay gift card they will be asking you to buy will be purchased with stolen info. report, block and move on.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2020 12:44AM

@dictoresno said:
    definite scam. they will likely be asking you to ship to an address other than the one listed on PayPal.

already been established. first sentence of his message in op.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just added to my blocked list. thank you.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

absolutely not

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.