Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Griffey in Upper Deck unopened boxes

Does anyone have an idea of how many Ken Griffey cards one might expect to pull from a sealed 89 Upper Deck box?

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 11:03AM

Dbl post

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve opened 2 lower series boxes recently, and all I have to show for it is 1 Randy Johnson and about 5 Sheffield’s. Don’t think for second each box will have one. You just never know.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

collation was terrible with 89 upper deck. could get none, could get 2 out of one pack. Make sure you are getting low numbered boxes to have a better chance at griffey

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has to be FASC to know it has not been messed with. This is one product that I will not buy unless it it wrapped as FASC. Even with FASC no guarantees, however it does create an equal playing field.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

NEVER buy a box of 89 UD that isn't guaranteed FASC and expect to pull a Griffey

• Options

@dan89 said:
    Has to be FASC to know it has not been messed with. This is one product that I will not buy unless it it wrapped as FASC. Even with FASC no guarantees, however it does create an equal playing field.

My 2 that I opened were fasc from the recent BBCE group break. I’ve also heard that they put more Griffey’s in the high series after the card became a sensation.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    Something like 2 million 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. RCs printed.

That's it? I bet it could be more.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@Gansetttime said:

@dustinspeaks said:
    Something like 2 million 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. RCs printed.

That's it? I bet it could be more.

They may still be printing them

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thing is people want them more than have been printed or will be printed!! Demand, demand, demand.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

That’s horrible luck to not have pulled one from 2 Lo Boxes. It wasn’t apparent to me from that thread posted by magicpapa (thanks for posting!) if the Hi series are as easy to search as the Lo series boxes. I have a friend who busted a case of 89UD Lo back in day and he swears packs in boxes were near perfectly sequenced.

Seems more anecdotal accounts for Hi vs a more consistent theme for low.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    That’s horrible luck to not have pulled one from 2 Lo Boxes. It wasn’t apparent to me from that thread posted by magicpapa (thanks for posting!) if the Hi series are as easy to search as the Lo series boxes. I have a friend who busted a case of 89UD Lo back in day and he swears packs in boxes were near perfectly sequenced.

John

I have a 3rd FASC lo series box I’ve not opened yet, but at this point I’m thinking it might be worth more to keep wrapped than to rip it. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@NJ80sBBC said:

John

I have a 3rd FASC lo series box I’ve not opened yet, but at this point I’m thinking it might be worth more to keep wrapped than to rip it. 🤷‍♂️

That’s almost always the case with any unopened.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    PatriotPatPatriotPat Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I purchased a sealed low series 1989 UD box from BBcard Exchange and hit 0 Griffey rookies. Best card I hit was a Sheffield Rookie.

• Options

@PatriotPat said:
    I purchased a sealed low series 1989 UD box from BBcard Exchange and hit 0 Griffey rookies. Best card I hit was a Sheffield Rookie.

Sealed is one thing. That just means all the packs are legit packs.

FASC is what you need for 89UD Low. You can map the box by opening a few packs and seeing the RC run, and know where Griffey is. So like others have said, if you want to pull the Griffey from 89UD low, it has to be FASC or you can be sure someone has mapped it out, pulled the Griffey, then backfilled the box. This is a Potpourri'd box. Or Frankenstein Box. Very popular in the wax groups these days, buyers beware!!

High Series does not have the predictable run, so it's not as important FASC, but of course the way unscrupulous collectors use the vintage wax as a side hustle, I'd not trust anything of value which is not BBCE FASC.

I've been banned from a couple of the facebook vintage wax groups for bringing this up. Those unscrupulous collectors (who often are admins of these very groups) do not want the newb buyers understanding they're buying dry boxes which have been drained of all desirable cards.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PatriotPatPatriotPat Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@WaveofCards

this was from a sealed case at BB card exhange. I forgot to mention that.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaveofCards said:

Sealed is one thing. That just means all the packs are legit packs.

FASC is what you need for 89UD Low. You can map the box by opening a few packs and seeing the RC run, and know where Griffey is. So like others have said, if you want to pull the Griffey from 89UD low, it has to be FASC or you can be sure someone has mapped it out, pulled the Griffey, then backfilled the box. This is a Potpourri'd box. Or Frankenstein Box. Very popular in the wax groups these days, buyers beware!!

High Series does not have the predictable run, so it's not as important FASC, but of course the way unscrupulous collectors use the vintage wax as a side hustle, I'd not trust anything of value which is not BBCE FASC.

^ This 100%

• Options

@PatriotPat said:

@WaveofCards

this was from a sealed case at BB card exhange. I forgot to mention that.

Hah you could've saved me a lot of typing jk!

Stu and I did a two box 89UD break, High and Low, both FASC and we hit exactly one Griffey, And it was the High Series! That's just how it goes.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Can anyone confirm that sequencing was the same in all printing series (corrected/error)?

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I once opened 2 boxes in 1989 and ended up with 40 Don Aase cards. Yes I said 40 Don Aase cards in 2 boxes.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

@Gansetttime said:
    Can anyone confirm that sequencing was the same in all printing series (corrected/error)?

It's not the same. Low series has a known run, which can be mapped based on the rookies in each pack.

I am not aware of a run for High series, though there could be.