Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What Fowl is This?

I also picked up a lot of 5 agricultural medals. I was after the two Ottley medals in the lot, but also ended up with the three other medals, at first of passing interest to me.
Much to my delight, this medal, listed as anonymous, clearly was hallmarked as being struck by the Restall firm, a favorite of mine, in 1910/1911. Does anyone know what sort of poultry is pictured?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

with poultry I usually go by sound but thats not gonna work here ;)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like female pheasants to me but it's probably a more exotic bird that's extinct. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2020 8:51PM

Looks like a chicken. The Old English Game or other Game type. Link to a page of a modern one. Long leggity chickens. https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/modern-game-chickens/

edited to add crop from screen shot to get an idea.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, chickens.

The wood door in the background must be a clue that they are farm animals rather than wild birds.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there you go! Make great pet you say? Like a guard chicken? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall