Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo Nickel. Need your help

blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2020 10:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just got this back from grading. Coneca shows this variety with the top population MS64. I do not know if this is a desired error or not, and what the value might be. I would appreciate the help of you the experts!

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 10:22PM

Nice to see you posting more. :)

Sorry I can't be of more help but there are some real good Buffalo experts here that can. ;)

Edited to add: You may want to edit your title to add Buffalo Nickel so it catches the experts eyes.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a minor Class VI DDR. Demand probably isn't too high except for someone trying to assemble a complete set of Buff d dies for the 1913 date, both Var 1 and Var 2 or the almost impossible task of trying to complete a complete d die set for the entire series. I can't tell you a value because I've never seen one sold but I'm sure it's worth at least a little bit over what a normal coin is worth.

• Options

Thank You!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 11:14PM

You're welcome! I wouldn't even think about trying to cross it to PCGS as they almost certainly won't attribute it except as a "minor variety." My buddy Lewis Fletcher first reported it according to the Variety Vista files.

• Options

All these great knowledgeable well seasoned coin gurus and I only get one opinion? Thank you again for the info from that gracious buffalo mind. Can anybody else add to that? I really don't know much about buffaloes other than their meat is tough and they crap a lot!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me that shows there is very little interest in these minor varieties! I'm also not a microscopic collector!

@blaircountycoin said:
    All these great knowledgeable well seasoned coin gurus and I only get one opinion? Thank you again for the info from that gracious buffalo mind. Can anybody else add to that? I really don't know much about buffaloes other than their meat is tough and they crap a lot!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

You put it on at 11 at night and expect the guru's to see it?? If @amwldcoin hadn't answered you at 0656am, I would not have seen it and I am not a guru! I would NOT search for it!

@blaircountycoin said:

Ken
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blaircountycoin said:

What opinion do you want? There would be almost no premium for the variety unless you can find one of the 3 people that actually wants one. Minor varieties are very hard to value and even harder to sell.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling a very minor variety like that for a premium would probably cost you more in time and selling costs than it would be worth.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 10:23AM

You got more advice than you paid for!
    @koynekwest knows his stuff when it comes to buffs and their varieties, so you probably won't find anyone who refutes what he says, especially on a not very well known DDR like that.

If you're looking for someone to tell you its worth thousands, well.. don't hold your breath.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Thanks. You are the greatest. I feel so much better now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file