Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Walmart is no longer a bargain

They have raised their prices significantly on their sports cards in the last week. Blasters a week ago for Topps 2020 were $19.98. Today they are almost $30 while Target still has them at $19.99.

Panini illusion mega boxes are $90 something while ebay has some for $54.

What gives?

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

walmart themselves or is it an outside distributor like toywhiz selling thru walmart site?

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because people are buying them for the prices you mentioned and selling them for the prices you mentioned.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

At lease your Walmart and Target have inventory they restocked...
    The two closest to me are BARREN....
    Have been for months

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    Have been for months

Walmart themselves Online... I should have mentioned that.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    Have been for months

At least your Walmart even sells them. Our stores don't sell cards at all.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@sjjs28 said:
    Have been for months

At least your Walmart even sells them. Our stores don't sell cards at all.

Our Walmart either. Target has some cards but I doubt they worry about current cards.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Went in search for packs in 3 Walmart’s, all empty. Maybe because of Black Friday? They are obviously in demand.

• Options

@tulsaboy said:
    If your Walmarts and Targets are anything like ours, they are still getting cards weekly, with every new release. The problem is there are resellers who know the precise times and dates that the distributors restock the shelves, and they show up and sit there while the shelves are restocked. Then when the person walks away, the resellers grab literally every box that was just stocked moments earlier and buy them. Then they resell them online or at shops. I know card shops who are stocking their inventory paying people to go do this. Walmarts and Targets could limit sales daily, weekly, or monthly, but they don't. For them it is just a financial calculation, and if one person wants to buy $1,000 worth of product instead of having 50 people buy $20 each, that's just fine by them. I suspect that your local retailers are still getting product, it's just that you don't ever see it.
    kevin

100%

I try Target once a week, and apparently it was known to be restocking time today. Snapped this pic when I was in line, they're all just waiting in front of the card section for restock. I found the scene sad.

Are modern cards in beanie babie land now? :neutral:

I think I'm sticking with vintage from here on out.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing that pic, I need to re-evaluate my hobby decisions.

Mike
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2020 8:48PM

@WaveofCards said:

@tulsaboy said:
    If your Walmarts and Targets are anything like ours, they are still getting cards weekly, with every new release. The problem is there are resellers who know the precise times and dates that the distributors restock the shelves, and they show up and sit there while the shelves are restocked. Then when the person walks away, the resellers grab literally every box that was just stocked moments earlier and buy them. Then they resell them online or at shops. I know card shops who are stocking their inventory paying people to go do this. Walmarts and Targets could limit sales daily, weekly, or monthly, but they don't. For them it is just a financial calculation, and if one person wants to buy $1,000 worth of product instead of having 50 people buy $20 each, that's just fine by them. I suspect that your local retailers are still getting product, it's just that you don't ever see it.
    kevin

100%

I try Target once a week, and apparently it was known to be restocking time today. Snapped this pic when I was in line, they're all just waiting in front of the card section for restock. I found the scene sad.

I'd toss the re-stocker a $20 and have him hand me some cards before those other suckers.

I did find some NHL cards in stock at a Walmart about 35 minutes from me.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaveofCards said:

@tulsaboy said:
    kevin

100%

Crazy. Our Target hangs signs, limiting each customer to just 2 card items. Like freaking hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

Unfortunately, the beginning collector (the 10 year old shopping with mom) can't pick up a pack of cards. He has to fight through these guys. I guess the LCS is the viable alternative.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@WaveofCards said:

@tulsaboy said:
    kevin

100%

-

LOL!! Welcome to bubble land.
    No wonder my local Walmart shelves are always bare; not that I care.
    (nice to see the young collector actively involved)

Yes, vintage all the way!

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

What bothers me with this picture is that nobody is talking, they are all lone wolfs out for themselves. There is no networking going on here.

>

-

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2020 7:59AM

@dontippet said:

What bothers me with this picture is that nobody is talking, they are all lone wolfs out for themselves. There is no networking going on here.

>

-

Because the Battle Royale is about to start once those blasters hit the shelves.

Mike
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Keep in mind, the manufacturers could solve this problem by producing so much product that it isn't worth this time and trouble. The reason the approach of the flippers works is due to the artificial scarcity created by the manufacturers to boost the desirability of their own products, along with the parallel chase that has turned opening new product into basically a scratch off lottery ticket. They won't, though, because their current model generates buzz, creates desirability, and makes them money.

I have had a blast with my wife and kids this year during the virus opening base Topps and Topps update packs. Our goal was not hunting for signed cards or parallels (though we got a few ) but trying to put together a complete set. It's not a financially smart thing to do if that's your goal. It was just good fun, though, and worth every penny. We probably have spent $500-600 on new Topps product, and still are about 25 cards short of the base set of 700 cards and are about 30 cards short of the update set (with a few megas to open still.) We have been able to access those cards because our Targets and Walmarts had enough of those boxes early on that we could buy a decent quantity. Sadly that's not universally the case, and it should be. The flippers, in large part, have absolutely no desire to enjoy the cards or to open them. They are simply using them as a money making proposition, and to me that's pretty sad.
    kevin

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

That is sad...normal customer will never be able to get cards. I have not see anything but WWE cards at Target or WM since springtime.

• Options

@1966CUDA said:
    That is sad...normal customer will never be able to get cards. I have not see anything but WWE cards at Target or WM since springtime.

If your stores don't have stock check their website. They have stock but raised their prices to increase profit.

• Options

• Options
    WaveofCardsWaveofCards Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 3:02PM

@ndleo said:
    After seeing that pic, I need to re-evaluate my hobby decisions.

Seriously.

I'm honestly thinking 99% of modern cards will eventually be totally worthless. Like less than early 90's. So many guys hoarding cases for the future, etc, that this stuff could just be hard toilet paper in a few years.

@1966CUDA said:

The funny thing is there wasn't a terrible selection when I took the photo. There were Update hangers and and blasters. But I'm guessing they were waiting for the megaboxes, illusions, and hoping for some basketball.

It's seriously the saddest moment I've had since I started back into collecting. I think it was the moment that modern sports cards jumped the shark for me. I just don't want to be in the same hobby as those CLOWNS. This same Target was pretty easy to find stuff the last couple years, until earlier this year. I'd walk right in and bought Megas last year more than once. Bought some basketball even, when the Zion craze was in full swing. Never saw anyone staking out the section before.

And then maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe these guys have had a rough year, and maybe they lost their job and flipping some boxes helps them through it all. I don't know. You gotta live and let live and not judge. But it definitely lowered my desire for modern cards to an all-time low.

• Options

While it is frustrating for the collector side of me not to be able to buy reasonable amounts of products for ripping and set building, I don't think it is necessarily bad for the hobby. This spike in modern box prices has brought in a lot more money overall. Generally speaking, most of us on this board have seen significant appreciation.

I do question how much longer this will last. My fear is that when the next license agreement comes arounds, the leagues will see how much Panini made and raise the license, basically locking in these price levels. I want to see modern boxes prices go down but it seems demand is still strong and I'm not sure prices falling will help the overall hobby.

Mike
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2020 3:12PM

i find that pic both sad and encouraging. it wasn't too terribly long ago that the only person you saw staked out in the card aisle was the occasional pack molester/weighers.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Correct, not necessarily bad for the hobby. However, maybe a few too many "gamblers" in the mix.

Good times for me back in the early 90s going to Kmart buying Stadium Club & Fleer Ultras chasing the chase cards.
    Much of that made me the collector I am today. More appreciation for the rare vintage.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

>

-
    LOL!! Welcome to bubble land.
    No wonder my local Walmart shelves are always bare; not that I care.
    **(nice to see the young collector actively involved) **

Yes, vintage all the way!

More like that young collector ready to do some side hustle and charge all of us extra. Sorry to burst anyone's "reality" bubble but the kids that go to Target and Walmart and mainly there to resell on their IG accounts and Facebook groups. I doubt he's looking for his favorite player lol. Dad will make sure of that too. Kid is there to make some bank.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least when the cards were being over produced, you could buy some.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stopped by my local WM tonite. All topps 2020 Update. Bought $300 worth for
    my grandson and I to open on his next visit.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

considering what gpk prices have done, those fortnite boxes are probably the best lock there.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaveofCards said:

@tulsaboy said:
    kevin

100%

Looks like squatters rights.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out Xmas shopping yesterday. Walmart 0. Target had 2 2020 Topps baseball factory sets and an empty single pack box.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Yesterday we hit a Target and a Walmart near us. Target had Topps 2020 Update, including individual packs, blasters, and Megas. Walmart had Bowman Platinum baseball, every possible type of packaging for Update sans megas (Target exclusive), Panini Illusions football, and a whole host of non-sport stuff.
    kevin

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

In one respect I agree that the picture is a little sad. BUT... I'm more or less giving everyone a reprieve right now due to Covid-19. I mean if I lost my job and hand a ton of time on my hands, maybe I'd case out Walmart and Target to try to make a few bucks. Can't blame people for trying to make a living. Like Blurry said, the 300 lb guy sitting on the floor with his sweats hanging off his ass searching packs 5 years ago for a hot pack was much worse, IMO.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman