Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In Search of Value in the Greatest Hobby Bull Market......

I've seen a few ideas tossed around in other threads, I thought I would try to start a discussion of where the board thinks where the value is hiding in our hobby.

I'll start it off, I've been researching Press Pass Football products especially the years where they had the college logos. I think the last year with the logos is 2010 based on the singles I've seen. A lot of the 2006+ boxes are around $100 and are loaded with autographs. I especially think 2007 Press Pass and 2012 Press Pass are really good values, I think the 2012 was the only draft product that had Andrew Luck.

I looked at Sage and Leaf as well, but I think the years with the college logos are going to have the best appreciation going forward.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

chicago probably?

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe Schererville

Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 10:34AM

I opened a lot of 2014 Press Pass showbound back in the day because there were 6 autos per box, and the 2014 rookie crop was pretty hot. With the biggest names, Manziel and Beckham, being a bust and a head case it isn't as attractive, but there's still some decent names in there like Carr, Evans, Bridgewater, Clowney, etc.... and it wont break the bank at like $60 - $70 per box.

Edited to add: I guess mine is more of a "bang for the buck" kinda thing rather than potential value.

• Options

I got into Press Pass in 2012 with the Luck/RG3 craze but 2014 was one of the best year to break. I pulled quite a few autos of the top rookies and price per box was around $50. I don't have them anymore but I think there were mostly on-card, which is a rarity today.

Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I don't have them anymore but I think there were mostly on-card, which is a rarity today.

I believe they all were on card autos.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 12:41PM

I always liked Press Pass product but hated Sage. There stickers circa 2000-2005 are the worst I have ever seen.

Value is where you find it. I look to buy entire collections if possible. I do not find many but since I am only 1 person and have a full time job and family I find enough to keep me busy.

I have probably just under 1000 cards at PSA primarily from collections I have bought.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me great value will always be found in low to mid-grade vintage classics with strong eye appeal and centering.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

Part of my Press Pass love is a nod to Panini for the investment they made in modern collegiate product. I know a lot of collectors look at the collegiate line as the little brother of the NFL product but college football has a passionate fan base and I see that they are starting to spend money on the college licensed cards.

NFL will always be #1 in the modern hobby, but for the price you can't beat some of the mid-2000's Press Pass licensed product, typically 4-5 autographs per box for under $100. Like I said, I think the non-licensed product is not worth it. Those Sage cards with players in workout gear is awful even with 6-9 autographs per box.

The only thing I don't know if there was a product dump after Press Pass went bankrupt at the end of 2014. I wouldn't think it would affect the previous years since the autographs were on-card and not stickers.

Mike