Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dansco 7337: Australia Type

Hello, everyone; I'm a new member here on Collectors Universe after lurking on here for quite a while now. One of my favorite areas of collecting interest is composing foreign type sets, particularly those that Dansco used to make albums for decades ago. Anyway, here is my partial Dansco Type Set for Australia.

Cover

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

delenda est WitterU

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure many collectors long for the days when album collections were the rule and not the exception.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    EagleScout2017EagleScout2017 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 2:49PM

@291fifth said:
    I'm sure many collectors long for the days when album collections were the rule and not the exception.

I'm particularly fond of displaying my coins in albums myself. There is a certain aesthetic quality to it that is hard to beat than simply filing away my coins in cardboard 2x2s.

delenda est WitterU

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Looks like you have it going, didn't know Dansco had an Australia album. Enjoy!

• Options

@Elmhurst said:
    Looks like you have it going, didn't know Dansco had an Australia album. Enjoy!

Dansco made many foreign albums decades ago for countries such as Switzerland, Japan, Canada, Israel, and Cuba. Most were discontinued in the 1970s, from what I know, except for Australia, Mexico, and possibly Canada. I have most of the foreign type albums that they manufactured, albeit in various stages of completion.

delenda est WitterU

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the information.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's also much more satisfying plugging those holes!

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

@EagleScout2017 Welcome aboard! I like your type set - nice start. Looking forward to seeing more of your sets.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 5:39AM

Nice album. It's one I don't have. I like albums also. I even made my own custom albums for some Russian and Chile series.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I recently sent a Dansco New Zealand album to a friend there. I thought that the Philippines one was a very nice album as well, since the early 20th century coins were so great. I have a new, unused Guatemala Dansco that I just saw looking through mine. I also like the early Whitman type albums for foreign countries.

• Options
    EagleScout2017EagleScout2017 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 12:18PM

@rec78 said:
    Nice album. It's one I don't have. I like albums also. I even made my own custom albums for some Russian and Chile series.

Would you mind posting those albums? I'd love to see them and compare it to a custom album I did for British Florins 1893-1970.

delenda est WitterU

• Options

@syl said:
    I recently sent a Dansco New Zealand album to a friend there. I thought that the Philippines one was a very nice album as well, since the early 20th century coins were so great. I have a new, unused Guatemala Dansco that I just saw looking through mine. I also like the early Whitman type albums for foreign countries.

One of my biggest coin-related regrets a few years ago was when I passed up an opportunity to buy a Guatemala and Nicaragua Type album. The dealer only $30 per album, and both were still wrapped in the cellophane. My blunder certainly reinforces the fact that hindsight is 2020.

delenda est WitterU

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I have no camera, so I can't post anything. I don't have a great many of the "type-set" albums, maybe 7-8, mostly old Whitman ones.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2020 5:10AM

@EagleScout2017 said:

@rec78 said:

Would you mind posting those albums? I'd love to see them and compare it to a custom album I did for British Florins 1893-1970. I need to order few more of the albums, some are just the pages right now. The blue parts are just a reflection. I am not the best photographer.

Here's a few of them. I made them quite a while ago, Every once in a while I buy a few coins for them. Most are not as common as one may think. Please show yours!

• Options

I thought you might be interested in this @rec78. However, I do apologize for the poor photo quality.

Cover

Spine

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

delenda est WitterU

• Options
    edited November 30, 2020 2:57PM

Too cool sir! I could not do the artwork for covers, my covers are bare. Florins is a weird denomination and I see you have most of them! Custom albums are kinda neat because no one has one like them.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Great collection, EagleScout2017! I have always loved Florins!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I've posted this before, but Randy at Chief Coins & Supply offers all types/brands of folders & albums (new & used, including discontinueds) at fair prices, including Darkside. I have bought them from him in the past. A good source to look into.