Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help with a baseball card

Hello... I normally post in the U.S. coin forum. My buddy’s father-in-law passed and they found this among his personal effects. Was wondering what the approximate value would be. I know it hasn’t been professionally graded but still a neat old card.

Thanks.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming it's real, and hasn't been "played with", i.e., trimmed, enhanced, etc....., it's probably worth between $200 and $300.

It looks like it would probably grade about a 2 on PSA's scale, depending on how severe that broken crease is at the top-left.

Steve

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds low to me. I would check ended listings for lower grade Foxx cards on ebay. Only look at the graded copies for reference, as they are genuine and some, if not all ungraded Goudeys tend to be reprints these days, even if they look old.

Aside from the corner creasing, it is in pretty decent condition with nice color. I'd guess graded copies in the 1-2 range are up over $1K. Foxx doesn't have the same hobby love as Ruth or Gehrig, but he is still a key card in the Goudey set. Of course, grading that one is probably the best idea and this is coming from someone who has never sent in a card to be graded in 40+ years of collecting.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I guess I am a little on the high side, but fillers that look terrible are selling for $200+. I guess it depends on the grade you'd get and what someone was looking for. $300-500 doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1933+goudey+jimmie+foxx&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=98258&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

It's an old goudey of a HOF'er, pretty cool find! Definitely should be graded, even if it's a lower grade. A couple of benefits to having it graded are it gets encased and protected long term, it raises it's resale value, and it also authenticates it as a real card (assuming it's real to begin with).

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks a lot guys.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

The card is a psa 2 imo. VCP is actual prices and recent sales are about $400.
    Expect to get less in ungraded. It is still a nice card for what it is.

FYI this is his rookie card and the one to have in the psa RC HOF set registry

I would try to sell it as is. Many buyers will not realize it is a 2 and pay higher. Sending in just one card is pricey and you will not benefit

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll buy it as-is if they’re looking to sell it. Sending a message now.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS