Home U.S. Coin Forum

When selling coins either on eBay or elsewhere, do you use scans or photos?

rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that scans are so dinosaur. If you use scans, why? I see that lots of people use scans and I would like to why. Good photoing is so easy today. Digital cameras are not expensive these days, and not difficult to use, and you can even use a phone and get better images than scans.

Comments

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images, take the best ones possible, imo you'll lessen than chances of returns if the buyer has a solid idea of what they're purchasing.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images. I tried out some scans on some Paper currency a couple years back, every one of them were sold fast...and returned fast. I thought they looked good, could have been buyers remorse. Only images nowadays.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos 100 pct

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Using scans nowadays is like using a pager to communicate with someone. Better than no images, but not by much.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Yup....photos all the way. Never liked scans. My phone does a great job and the pics are auto uploaded into the cloud for access

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good photos= better money. Most times you will leave money on the table using scans.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time, like in the early 00s, I had access to an Epson optical scanner at work. Unlike most digital scanners today, this one essentially took a high resolution picture. That thing was amazing, it even captured great images of coins in slabs. Eventually the hardware became outdated and it was impossible to find driver software or even cables to continue using it (it had a giant SCSI cable and used a TWAIN interface. I have no idea what those stand for...).

Nowadays even my phone produces better pictures than that old scanner, but for a while it was really handy. My best advice, regardless of the quality camera, is to use a stand and a timer to reduce any bounce and make sure you stay in focus.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use scans for groups of coins, it's much easier and quicker than taking individual pictures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file