Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the US Mint allowed to sell Commemorative coins after the year of issue?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know for sure?

I was thinking with all the MayFlower coins being returned and it being almost December could these become a very low surviving mintage coin?

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that if they have a mintage limit that they could sell til gone.

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 7:04PM

I believe these may not be subject to the same rules as other commemoratives since a law didn’t create these designs. The laws for each of the commemoratives usually include the language that they may only be issued during the specified year.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 7:05PM

I think the laws that create them state they can only be issued in that year.

here is the women's suffrage one:
    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-116publ71/pdf/PLAW-116publ71.pdf

SEC. 5. ISSUANCE OF COINS.
    (a) QUALITY OF COINS.—Coins minted under this Act shall be issued in uncirculated and proof qualities.
    (b) MINT FACILITIES.—Only one facility of the United States Mint may be used to strike any particular quality of the coins minted under this Act.
    (c) PERIOD FOR ISSUANCE.—The Secretary may issue coins under this Act only during the period beginning on January 1, 2020, and ending on December 31, 2020.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I think the laws that create them state they can only be issued in that year.

here is the women's suffrage one:
    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-116publ71/pdf/PLAW-116publ71.pdf

SEC. 5. ISSUANCE OF COINS.
    (a) QUALITY OF COINS.—Coins minted under this Act shall be issued in uncirculated and proof qualities.
    (b) MINT FACILITIES.—Only one facility of the United States Mint may be used to strike any particular quality of the coins minted under this Act.
    (c) PERIOD FOR ISSUANCE.—The Secretary may issue coins under this Act only during the period beginning on January 1, 2020, and ending on December 31, 2020.

Yeah but a law didn’t create the Mayflower program. I think these would be more similar to the high relief liberty coins which 2019s coin is still for sale.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2020 7:26PM

yeah. I only replied to the "topic" and didn't read the OP.

the Mayflower issues seem to be special, and not official commemoratives authorized by congress.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/fine-arts-commission-makes-mayflower-recommendations.html

Authority to strike coins

Authority for the gold coin is in the United States Code. “The Mint is producing this special gold coin in accordance with the authority at 31 U.S.C. §5112(i)(4)(C) whereby ‘The Secretary may continue to mint and issue coins in accordance with the specifications [for 22-karat American Eagle Gold Coins] at the same time the Secretary in [sic] minting and issuing other bullion gold coins under this subsection in accordance with such program procedures and coin specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time,’ Mint officials said.

CFA members were informed the gold $10 coin being pursued by the Mint will be 24-karat gold (pure), not 22-karat (.9167 fine) like the American Eagle gold coin series.

Authority to strike medals

Authority for the issuance of the silver medal is “pursuant to 31 U.S.C. §5111(a)(2), ‘The Secretary of the Treasury may prepare national medal dies and strike national and other medals if it does not interfere with regular minting operations but may not prepare private medal dies,’ according to Mint officials.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

dated 2020, I'd say they have minted all the coins to be sold, since they can't mint 2020 coins in 2021 without congressional action.

as for how long they can be sold? definitely into 2021.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    Does anyone know for sure?

I was thinking with all the MayFlower coins being returned and it being almost December could these become a very low surviving mintage coin?

A maximum of two commemorative coins can be minted per year. Basketball and Suffrage are the ONLY commemorative coins for 2021. Mayflower isn’t a commemorative coin...

Thus it can be sold in 2021 if necessary...

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    yeah. I only replied to the "topic" and didn't read the OP.

the Mayflower issues seem to be special, and not official commemoratives authorized by congress.

Oh ok, sorry. And thanks for providing the applicable rules.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Striking must end. Sales can go on.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 7:46PM

I did not realize that the MayFlower was not an official commemorative coin,,,,,, that is why I asked,,,,,, someone here always knows.

That said will these be in the PCGS Gold Commemorative Registry Sets?

Thanks for the info.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

that's one for pcgs set registry to answer.

not short of opinions despite having no skin in the game, I'd think these should be included.

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Is there going to be a 2020 Native American Coin and Currency Set sold next year? I saw the article about raising the price in the spring, but I did not see it on the mint's 2020 product calendar

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 8:59PM

@GRANDAM said:
    I did not realize that the MayFlower was not an official commemorative coin,,,,,, that is why I asked,,,,,, someone here always knows.

That said will these be in the PCGS Gold Commemorative Registry Sets?

Thanks for the info.

I specifically asked the Registry before this was sold and was told the 2 gold US Mayflower PR and RP coins will be included in the Modern Commemorative Registry sets, even though technically they are a little different officially as stated above.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file