Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think a neutral feedback was warranted?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 1973s Eisenhower Silver Proof Dollar off ebay. I got it in today and it was a clad proof and labeled clad on the holder. So I contacted the seller to let him know that he sent the wrong coin. This was the only response I got "Total refunds are available." No "I'm sorry for the confusion or for my troubles now of repackaging and sending it back before I see any refund". So I left a neutral feedback and stated "Sent wrong item. No apology, just email stating refunds available!" Do you think I was wrong and how would you have handled it?

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to avoid unfavorable feedback if at all possible. You were entitled to a full refund (incl your return postage). If he did not want to provide that then you just file a SNAD complaint with ebay and they handle it. If you are made whole then FB is up to you.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2020 4:59PM

@JBK said:
    I like to avoid unfavorable feedback if at all possible. You were entitled to a full refund (incl your return postage). If he did not want to provide that then you just file a SNAD complaint with ebay and they handle it. If you are made whole then FB is up to you.

Well I usually don't go thru ebay if I don't have to. I like to contact the seller and let them make things right first. I just thought it was basically uncourteous to not at least apologize for their mistake. I'm very reasonable but I do think that a little sympathy for the troubles I have to do now to get my refund should have been noticed. A full refund and postage was given, reason for not giving a Neg. A positive indicates a satisfied deal, which it was not. If he would have apologized in his response, I would have left a positive. Been there before and done that.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 4:55PM

Was there a picture of a silver or clad dollar included in the listing?

Either way, he should have apologized and I think a neutral was warranted.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was justifiable.

I would have left neutral or maybe nothing, at all.

Many would have probably neg'ed him.

Bad customer service, IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited November 20, 2020 4:58PM

@MFeld said:
    Was there a picture of a silver or clad dollar included in the listing?

Either way, he should have apologized and I think a neutral was warranted.

Hard to say mark. This 1st pic was the only pic in the auction. The 2nd pic is the coin I received. Looks like 2 different coins to me.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since he immediately agreed to give a full refund I would have not left any feedback.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

Did he say in the auction text that it was silver?

Two observations....that coin looks awfully bright (no toning) for a 40% Ike - looks clad on color alone (to me).

Also, if it was silver it would presumably have been sold in the original brown box with it's own plastic holder.

The holder you got is an aftermarket holder. Why would someone take it out of the original holder and put it in an aftermarket holder if it was 40%?

Just my random thoughts...

• Options

@JBK said:

Two observations....that coin looks awfully bright (no toning) for a 40% Ike - looks clad on color alone (to me).

Also, if it was silver it would presumably have been sold in the original brown box with it's own plastic holder.

The holder you got is an aftermarket holder. Why would someone take it out of the original holder and put it in an aftermarket holder if it was 40%?

Here's a screen shot of the description.

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

I would have given him negative feedback. He likely knew it was clad and was trying to pull a fast one.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:
    I would have given him negative feedback. He likely knew it was clad and was trying to pull a fast one.

You have no idea about the seller’s state of mind.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

Well seeings how it looks like 2 different holders, I'm not so sure. The holder in the auction didn't have a label on it but the one I received does. First thing I thought was grabbed the wrong one. I would accepted that explanation also. I didn't care for his response.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

To some people all of the big dollars are "silver" dollars. Could be just a bad use of the term, especially if they don't normally sell coins.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    I would have given him negative feedback. He likely knew it was clad and was trying to pull a fast one

Geez, That’s a bit harsh. At least the seller was communicating. He acknowledged that an error had occurred and is working with the buyer to resolve the problem.

Sometimes it’s good to let cooler heads prevail and give the situation a minute to resolve.

I would give the seller chance to make everything right before ANY feedback is left

• Options

@3stars said:
    To some people all of the big dollars are "silver" dollars. Could be just a bad use of the term, especially if they don't normally sell coins.

I could believe that but the majority of the sellers items for sale are coins.

• Options

@Electricity said:

@Panda4456 said:
    I would have given him negative feedback. He likely knew it was clad and was trying to pull a fast one

Geez, That’s a bit harsh. At least the seller was communicating. He acknowledged that an error had occurred and is working with the buyer to resolve the problem.

Sometimes it’s good to let cooler heads prevail and give the situation a minute to resolve.

I would give the seller chance to make everything right before ANY feedback is left

There was no acknowledgement that he made an error. His only response was "total refunds available". Where in that statement did he acknowledge he made a mistake and will gladly take care of the problem?

• Options

@bsshog40 said:

@JBK said:

Here's a screen shot of the description.

Yup. He lied.

• Options

Sorry if I sound harsh but I think it’s very obvious what he was trying to do. He placed a clad inside a silver holder so you wouldn’t look at the edge of the coin.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:
    Sorry if I sound harsh but I think it’s very obvious what he was trying to do. He placed a clad inside a silver holder so you wouldn’t look at the edge of the coin.

Well this is the last hole I have in my Eisenhower Dansco album. I was already suspicious when I opened the envelope as the coin didn't look as bright as my others. Then carefully opening the holder and flipping up the insert with my white gloves, yup, clad.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

It’s not at all obvious. He very well might have acquired the coin in that holder. You’re not a mind reader and you sound as if you assume bad intent, where there might have been an honest mistake.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

did you weigh it? it looks silver clad to me

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

If I were going to do that, I wouldn't have put a sticker on the coin that said "clad".

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Panda4456 said:

It’s not at all obvious. He very well might have acquired the coin in that holder. You’re not a mind reader and you sound as if you assume bad intent, where there might have been an honest mistake.

You are assuming he is an honest and reputable seller, when we have definitive proof that he shipped a different coin than he sold.

• Options

You guys can think whatever you want, personally I think it was an honest mistake If any, have you weighed the coin...? The seller sells low dollar coins, and IKE’s are not the easiest to identify for newbs.

Again I would at least give the seller a few days to make this right before getting bent out of shape Karen

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

@MFeld said:

@Panda4456 said:

You are assuming he is an honest and reputable seller, when we have definitive proof that he shipped a different coin than he sold.

I’m assuming nothing. I don’t claim to know what the seller was thinking. And shipping a different coin could have been an honest mistake. Notice that I didn’t say it was “very obvious” that it was an honest mistake.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2020 6:29PM

@Electricity said:
    You guys can think whatever you want, personally I think it was an honest mistake If any, have you weighed the coin...? The seller sells low dollar coins, and IKE’s are not the easiest to identify for newbs.

Again I would at least give the seller a few days to make this right before getting bent out of shape Karen

Weight is 22.48

Clad: 22.6800
    Silver: 24.5900

• Options

Ok so it’s a ClAD Ike, you’ve done your DD and proven the item was not as described. Hopefully you can work things out with the seller, get a full refund and you both move on.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you make offers on eBay items, many sellers will look at the feedback you've left for others. If they see neutral/negative feedback, they may be more likely to reject your offers and block you, whether your feedback was justified or not.

IMO, it's not worth leaving neutral/negative feedback just to punish a seller for being rude - it hurts you more, in the end. In your situation, I would have left no feedback at all.

• Options

@Electricity said:
    Ok so it’s a ClAD Ike, you’ve done your DD and proven the item was not as described. Hopefully you can work things out with the seller, get a full refund and you both move on.

Well I already have a shipping label to send it back. Hopefully he will not fight the refund when he gets it back. I have already moved on as long as I get my refund. I have bought things on ebay that wound up being bad or the wrong item. Every seller I have dealt with in this position has been very polite and we've always worked things out so each were satisfied. I just thought this situation would have been much better if the seller had recognized his mistake and a simple apology given. I mean really, I have to repackage the item, print out the label using my ink and then take this to the post office. I then have to wait for him to receive this back and decide when he wants to give me my refund. I'm the one being burdened here. If he would have just given me an apology, a positive feedback would have been given in return and I do the things mentioned above with no hard feelings.

• Options

@IkesT said:
    When you make offers on eBay items, many sellers will look at the feedback you've left for others. If they see neutral/negative feedback, they may be more likely to reject your offers and block you, whether your feedback was justified or not.

IMO, it's not worth leaving neutral/negative feedback just to punish a seller for being rude - it hurts you more, in the end. In your situation, I would have left no feedback at all.

I can understand that. In this instance tho' it was a BIN and thats what I did. Also, anyone can look at my feedback and see that I have been a reputable buyer and seller since 06/2002. Ebay ID: bsshog40

• Options

@bsshog40
    I agree with you on having to spend extra materials to send something back that should of been right in the first place. It’s not fair, but having a little bend in your bounce is far better than getting aggravated over something small.

All is good!, how about a nice picture of your IKE album?

• Options

@Electricity said:
    @bsshog40
    I agree with you on having to spend extra materials to send something back that should of been right in the first place. It’s not fair, but having a little bend in your bounce is far better than getting aggravated over something small.

I'm over it. I just thought it was a little rude. Neutral doesn't affect their feedback near as much as a Neg. I won't do that unless it's highly warranted.

• Options

@Electricity said:
    @bsshog40

Only missing one. :D

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:

Not so, as the Composition listed it as silver. This was not a bad useage of the term, but at best misleading. I think your neutral feedback was fair.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@bsshog40
    Great Album! I can just imagine the missing one 😂😂

• Options

@btcollects said:
    SNAD no feedback would be my approach

consider the free return postage label a heartfelt apology

I had to pay shipping on the coin, only fair to pay it back.

• Options

Selling a copper nickel ike dollar in a silver ike holder is no different than that one guy selling that fake 1909s vdb in that fake Pcgs holder. I don’t know why all of you here say one is okay and the other is wrong. They are the same thing. Boomers....

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I think a neutral was reasonable given his inadequate response. I would have expected an offer to replace the item sent with the correct coin, or at least an explanation of why the wrong coin was sent.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:
    Selling a copper nickel ike dollar in a silver ike holder is no different than that one guy selling that fake 1909s vdb in that fake Pcgs holder. I don’t know why all of you here say one is okay and the other is wrong. They are the same thing. Boomers....

Please don’t try to put words in our mouths. Not a single person here said it was “okay”. However, some of us are willing to consider the possibility that it was an honest mistake.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@Electricity said:

@Panda4456 said:

There was no acknowledgement that he made an error. His only response was "total refunds available". Where in that statement did he acknowledge he made a mistake and will gladly take care of the problem?

To be fair, I don't ask for explanations. I just accept returns. My standard response is generally "I'm sorry you aren't pleased with your purchase, please return the coin for a full refund including return shipping."

In a case like this, if I had made a mistake, my response would be "I'm very sorry, I don't know how I could have made such a silly mistake. You can return it for a refund or exchange. Do you have any particular accommodation in mind?"

If I were the seller and I was sure I had sent a 40% silver IKE, I actually would not acknowledge a mistake. I would just offer the refund. Looked at from the seller's perspective, if he was sure he sent a silver IKE, he might think that you are scamming him.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

Boom this...

I'm a Gen-Xer.

I wouldn't say either is "okay", but it also could be a completely honest mistake. Why are you assuming that it has to be an intentional scam?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

To be fair, I don't ask for explanations. I just accept returns. My standard response is generally "I'm sorry you aren't pleased with your purchase, please return the coin for a full refund including return shipping."

In a case like this, if I had made a mistake, my response would be "I'm very sorry, I don't know how I could have made such a silly mistake. You can return it for a refund or exchange. Do you have any particular accommodation in mind?"

If I were the seller and I was sure I had sent a 40% silver IKE, I actually would not acknowledge a mistake. I would just offer the refund. Looked at from the seller's perspective, if he was sure he sent a silver IKE, he might think that you are scamming him.

I understand all of your examples. Your mistake analogy would be fitting. I did send him the picture of the holder and coin when I emailed him explaining that he sent a clad instead of a silver. The label should have made him ask a question, I would think.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

@MFeld said:

@Panda4456 said:

Mistakes do happen. Whether Boomer, Millenium or Gen Z.

Couple months ago, I sold an MS63 Morgan and an MS63 Peace $ on the same day. Because eBay insists I ship in the middle of the night, I accidentally sent the coins to the wrong people.

Either or both of them could have called me a scam artist. Especially the guy who got the Peace $ ($35) instead of the Morgan $ ($45). But it was an honest mistake.

[Note: I realized the mistake. Contacted both. Sent them an empty package with shipping attached to swap the coins to each other. Offered them compensation for the trouble. And they mailed the coins to each other and everyone ended up happy. And both of them refused additional compensation and left positive feedback.]

• Options

@bsshog40 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I understand all of your examples. Your mistake analogy would be fitting. I did send him the picture of the holder and coin when I emailed him explaining that he sent a clad instead of a silver. The label should have made him ask a question, I would think.

I'm not blaming you. Sometimes people just offer returns and their text is clipped and appears more rude than is intended.

It's tough when your communication is all text.

Few years ago, I sent a package of medals (at a huge loss) to the Philippines. The buyer, whom I had dealt with for years, informed me after a few weeks that it had not arrived. I refunded his money. I think it was about $65 and the shipping was $30. Well, didn't he leave me 13 negative feedbacks for the 13 items. I contacted him and said that since I had immediately refunded his money, including shipping, his response seemed harsh. He did retract the feedback. But I hadn't had a negative in over a decade and when I saw the 13 negatives for a transaction that I had lost $60 on , I was upset.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Panda4456 said:

@MFeld said:

@Panda4456 said:

Couple months ago, I sold an MS63 Morgan and an MS63 Peace $ on the same day. Because eBay insists I ship in the middle of the night, I accidentally sent the coins to the wrong people.

Either or both of them could have called me a scam artist. Especially the guy who got the Peace $ ($35) instead of the Morgan $ ($45). But it was an honest mistake.

[Note: I realized the mistake. Contacted both. Sent them an empty package with shipping attached to swap the coins to each other. Offered them compensation for the trouble. And they mailed the coins to each other and everyone ended up happy. And both of them refused additional compensation and left positive feedback.]

Im glad it worked out well for you in the end. However your mistake is a bit different, you just sent coins to the wrong person. It’s not like you sold a 1889 cc Morgan and put a counterfeit inside a 1889 cc holder and sent it to the guy.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Panda4456 said:

@MFeld said:

@Panda4456 said:

Im glad it worked out well for you in the end. However your mistake is a bit different, you just sent coins to the wrong person. It’s not like you sold a 1889 cc Morgan and put a counterfeit inside a 1889 cc holder and sent it to the guy.

I'm referring to this thread. It is quite possible the seller sent bsshog the wrong coin by accident, especially if he had both a silver and a clad Ike in the same holder.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    Do you think I was wrong and how would you have handled it?

Do you think he was trying to cheat you?

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Boomer"? I learned a new pejorative.

Good thing the moderators don't let us debate anything that's actually important.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@bsshog40 said:
    Do you think I was wrong and how would you have handled it?

Do you think he was trying to cheat you?

I really can't say. My first impression was he sent the wrong coin because it is blatantly labeled clad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file