Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

can someone explain

Why does it take so long for a submission for grading take so long to just "get into the system"? It's been in their hands for a week, labeled "express order" on the box. I just want to see it, at least officially, starting the process. I know there's a huge influx of submissions right now but shouldn't the "express" orders take priority and get sorted quicker?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    Why does it take so long for a submission for grading take so long to just "get into the system"? It's been in their hands for a week, labeled "express order" on the box. I just want to see it, at least officially, starting the process. I know there's a huge influx of submissions right now but shouldn't the "express" orders take priority and get sorted quicker?

If it were me, I'd ask PCGS directly and discreetly. There's an implied criticism of our beloved hosts in the post.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience is a virtue.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 12:28PM

For reference, my last NGC submission took 12 days after being delivered to show received in their system.

Edit to add:

On the flip side, I received an email from CAC acknowledging receipt within two hours of the package delivery yesterday.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tracking showed my submission made it to our host on Monday and a very nice lady called me yesterday to let me know that there was a set of quarters in my box instead of just the V75 which was there as well. I had totally forgot in my mint sealed box that I had put quarters in there as well so all the shipping info would already be filled out when I hit add to bag and checkout. Long story short, tons of people had done the same thing my V75 was in process and she said they would just send the quarters back to me. Very nice lady

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

there is no animus toward our hosts just a curious question that I thought the experienced submitters of coins could answer. customer service can't answer this because they haven't received it in their system yet. it gives me hope that Mgarmy got his entered already because mine also made it to our hosts on Monday. I'm trying my best to be patient. Thanks all for the input.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know.... My orders(reg.) were entered within a couple of days of receipt. There could be an influx of about 1900 express orders right now ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they've built a process that can handle so many coins per week, balanced through all of the various steps. With buffers for occasional surges. But what they don't want to do is have a huge backup at any station.

Your coins are received and stored safely in their vault until there's room in the intake process, with the expectation that once in, they will move (relatively smoothly) through the process.

Of course, coins go off process all the time - the flow of a modern ASE is pretty smooth. A Colonial coin requiring variety attribution will be a different flow. One that needs to be sent out to an outside expert for verification different still. Which is why creating this process flow is complex and sometimes hiccups.

It's the same thing at the supermarket. They know Tuesday at 5pm there are usually n customers and so they need m cashiers. The Tuesday before Thanksgiving is a special case, but they know from past experience they'll see 2n customers so they need 2m cashiers. If they don't have 2m registers, then the lines build up. These type of schedules are built on averages, history and advanced knowledge of special cases. There is nothing they can do if there is a Monday snow storm pushing all of Monday's customers to Tuesday.

Same thing here - big surges like the V75 ASE can only be mitigated so far You can't magically create more graders for the two weeks you need them.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 7:54PM

ok

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file