Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Interesting article about the illegal antiquities trade

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Thanks for sharing this important slice of history. This is why I am part of CU. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭✭

They were idiots and got what they deserved.

If they had declared what they found, they would have received approximately the same amount under the treasure laws as they could expect to get by selling on the black market and having to grease a lot of palms in order to get the goods away. All they could see was a large payday without having enough between the ears to do the sums.

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

One of the few articles I’ve read in the last few years that presented all sides and let the reader determine their own opinion. Thanks for posting.

As for what they made or could have made, I would venture to say that they would have only maximized their money by going through the legal channels. Honestly, these dimwits probably sold the coins for decimal percentages (.001) of pennies on the dollar. The person making the most is the person who bought 100s of thousands of dollars of coins for a couple thousand dollars. How many times have you gotten full auction or full retail price for a coin you sold? The treasure law provides that.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting good, long read! Thanks for posting!