Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1859 Rush to the Rockies - Uniface Private Strike - HK-544

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 15, 2020 2:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm an avid fan of the Rush to the Rockies So-Called Dollar issue by the US Mint, but I didn't know about the uniface HK-544 until I just ran across this one from Ancient Galleon LLC / ancientgalleonllc.

Anyone know much about this So-Called Dollar like who the issuer was?

This one has been holed and worn, definitely not as pristine as John Dean's specimen on So-CalledDollars.com.

Apparently struck originally in effort to interest towns, cities, merchants and others in using reverse for individualized purposes; few such known. Issue was quite limited.

Obv. Covered wagon scene similar to that on Official Medal above; above Colorado / Rush to the / Rockies / Centennial / to l. 1859, to r. 1959. UNIFACE.

HK-544 Gilt Bronze. 33mm.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 2:30AM

I wasn't expecting this, but a few searches on the bay show that this uniface piece may have used a die for the following good for trade token. HK doesn't cover good for tokens so I thought it was a bit unusual to have a uniface striking of a uncovered piece listed in HK. That being said, I'm always for more listinigs than fewer :)

Does anyone know who issued these brass good for tokens? Was it Osborne or another major issuer?

Image from A World of Coins / r-j_coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file