Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ASE/AGE V75 submission questions

Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not submitted coins for years now and when I did submit most were not moderns under the regular option. I just looked over a submission form and I see there is modern under $300 and modern gold under $2,500. I recall that you can't select multiple options on one submission. Neither option seem to fit the value of these coins. There is regular but it also has a max value at $2,500. So does this only leave Express or Rarities as the only options? Then First Strike is an additional $18 per coin.

So what are you guys doing? Are you submitting gold and silver together or on separate forms? What service level are you using? Over $200 to submit one gold and one silver modern seems a bit steep...

Comments

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

with the gold "express" is the only option because of the value of the coin. shipped mine this morning. it was $129 total with first strike added. It is not cheap but the enhanced value to having it graded and housed in a PCGS holder seems worth it to me. I didn't get a silver one but if I do I will have it slabbed also for the same reason.

• Options

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    with the gold "express" is the only option because of the value of the coin. shipped mine this morning. it was $129 total with first strike added. It is not cheap but the enhanced value to having it graded and housed in a PCGS holder seems worth it to me. I didn't get a silver one but if I do I will have it slabbed also for the same reason.

So I am on the right track. If you had an AGE and an ASE you would likely send both under express because you can't choose two service types on one form and the separate form/fees will easily surpass the difference between express and regular?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 7:15AM

@Batman23 said:
    So I am on the right track. If you had an AGE and an ASE you would likely send both under express because you can't choose two service types on one form and the separate form/fees will easily surpass the difference between express and regular?

"Express" - Max Coin Value = $10,000.00; Grading Fee = $65.00
    "Regular" - Max Coin Value = $2,500.00; Grading Fee = $35.00

AGE (20XE) - conservatively ~$10,000.00 - have to choose "Express"
    ASE (20XF) - ~ $750.00 - could choose "Regular", or "Express"

Case #1 - One Submission Form (Both Coins "Express")
    (2 coins x "Express") + (1 x Handling Fee) = (2 x $65.00) + (1 x $10.00) = $140.00

Case #2 - Two Submission Forms (AGE = "Express"; ASE = "Regular")
    (1 coin x "Express") + (1 coin x "Regular") + (2 x Handling Fee) = (1 x $65.00) + (1 x $35.00) + (2 x $10.00) = $120.00

Note - these figures do NOT include any 'add-on services' (e.g., FS, TrueView, etc.).

It's close, but the two form option is slightly less.

As an aside, if you are going to submit, you might want to consider the "V75" special label. Currently top row, center at https://www.pcgs.com/labels

• Options

@MetroD When you factor in the return shipping I think that evens things out for price difference.

Thanks for pointing out the V75 label option.

• Options

I just looked at the standard 2020-W proof silver eagle and I see almost 150 different coin numbers and label options! I think this is getting a little carried away...

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    @MetroD When you factor in the return shipping I think that evens things out for price difference.

Thanks for pointing out the V75 label option.

Oops. You are correct. I incorrectly ASSumed that you could combine both 'orders/forms' into one return shipment.

With the correct return shipping information, the two options are essentially the same cost.

Thanks for teaching me something. :)

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Batman23 said:

"Express" - Max Coin Value = $10,000.00; Grading Fee = $65.00
    "Regular" - Max Coin Value = $2,500.00; Grading Fee = $35.00

AGE (20XE) - conservatively ~$10,000.00 - have to choose "Express"
    ASE (20XF) - ~ $750.00 - could choose "Regular", or "Express"

Case #1 - One Submission Form (Both Coins "Express")
    (2 coins x "Express") + (1 x Handling Fee) = (2 x $65.00) + (1 x $10.00) = $140.00

Case #2 - Two Submission Forms (AGE = "Express"; ASE = "Regular")
    (1 coin x "Express") + (1 coin x "Regular") + (2 x Handling Fee) = (1 x $65.00) + (1 x $35.00) + (2 x $10.00) = $120.00

Note - these figures do NOT include any 'add-on services' (e.g., FS, TrueView, etc.).

It's close, but the two form option is slightly less.

As an aside, if you are going to submit, you might want to consider the "V75" special label. Currently top row, center at https://www.pcgs.com/labels

Where are you getting your values from?

The AGE (20XE) cost $2600 send it Modern Gold Fee $30.00
    The AGE (20XF) cost $83 send it Modern Fee $16.00

• Options
    edited November 15, 2020 8:12PM

@djm said:

The cost from the Mint is $2,600.00 and $83.00, respectively.

When I submit to PCGS, I try my best to 'determine/declare' a current market value, and use this figure to select the associated service level. I do this, primarily, for insurance reasons in the event of a loss.

In this case, the current market value >> the issue price. The $10,000.00 and $750.00, respectively, were simply my best guesses at current market values.

Reference: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/secondary-market-prices-soar-for-sold-out-american-eagles

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@djm said:

When I submit to PCGS, I try my best to determine a current market value, and select the associated service level. I do this, primarily, for insurance reasons in the event of a loss.

In this case, the current market value >> the issue price. The $10,000.00 and $750.00, respectively, were simply my best guesses at current market values.

Reference: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/secondary-market-prices-soar-for-sold-out-american-eagles

Then you don't understand how insurance works. They will not pay you more than you can prove you paid for the coin. These coins are not listed in the PCGS price guide. You can not collect speculative value for the coin. Your reference is not valid as coinworld neither buys coins nor sells. Honestly do you think the grader are going to drop your coin down the drain?

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 8:26PM

@djm said:

@MetroD said:

@djm said:

When I submit to PCGS, I try my best to determine a current market value, and select the associated service level. I do this, primarily, for insurance reasons in the event of a loss.

Then you don't understand how insurance works. They will not pay you more than you can prove you paid for the coin. These coins are not listed in the PCGS price guide. You can not collect speculative value for the coin. Your reference is not valid as coinworld neither buys coins nor sells. Honestly do you think the grader are going to drop your coin down the drain?

Have you not checked eBay for this. They are selling for $14,000. I think pcgs would probably grade these items at the levels you mentioned since they graded the ASE enhanced proof at the modern level last year even though it was selling for up to $2,000 at the time. But putting a declared value of $15,000 on the outbound shipping may look a little suspect when you are claiming modern/regular tier on the grading.

And insurance won’t only give you what you pay. They will pay replacement value/current value.

• Options

@djm said:

"Then you don't understand how insurance works. They will not pay you more than you can prove you paid for the coin."
    "Insurance for loss or damage [...] within the amount covered by the fee paid [...] is payable for the following: Article’s actual value when mailed."
    Reference: USPS Domestic Mail Manual, Section 609, Sub-Section 4.1.a at https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm
    I interpret this to mean current market value when mailed, not what I paid for it.

"These coins are not listed in the PCGS price guide. You can not collect speculative value for the coin. Your reference is not valid as coinworld neither buys coins nor sells."
    You are correct, but eBay facilitates actual transactions. The CoinWorld article references completed eBay sales figures (i.e., current market values).

"Honestly do you think the grader are going to drop your coin down the drain?"
    No. Never had a problem with PCGS, nor do I expect to in the future. The insurance is for the return shipping.

• Options

OK, not much varying input on this. Is no one sending these in for grading?

From what I see above...

Submit under modern gold based off issue price?
    or
    Submit under Express because of current value?

• Options

the max value for modern grading service is 2500. the v75 age sold for 2600. you must use express service for submission.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    OK, not much varying input on this. Is no one sending these in for grading?

As an ANA member I take advantage of the opportunity to submit my coins 'across the street' and shipped my ASE off Saturday. Fingers crossed on a 70.

• Options

OK. I looked at the form again and I have many questions.

The special V75 label is an extra $10 per coin. But it is not compatible with "Gold Shield". But Express is Gold Shield. So does not mean that V75 label is not available for Express grading?

I see the ones listed on Ebay are V75 label with no gold shield. Were those graded under modern gold/silver instead of Express?

$18 for First Strike and $10 for a fancy label. $28 extra per coin is kind of steep for something that is really nothing...

I'm tempted to pull out my 12 year old submission forms, they were much simpler >:)

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    OK. I looked at the form again and I have many questions.

The special V75 label is an extra $10 per coin. But it is not compatible with "Gold Shield". But Express is Gold Shield. So does not mean that V75 label is not available for Express grading?

I see the ones listed on Ebay are V75 label with no gold shield. Were those graded under modern gold/silver instead of Express?

$18 for First Strike and $10 for a fancy label. $28 extra per coin is kind of steep for something that is really nothing...

I'm tempted to pull out my 12 year old submission forms, they were much simpler >:)

Yeah I was reading that about the special labels. Way too confusing for what it is. I like the plain label anyway so doubt I’d get one.

• Options

you're right, I didn't see the option for the special label when ordering under the express/gold shield service. I did make a note under instructions though that I wanted the Iwo Jima label. Hopefully they will add that manually to the order. If not, I'm ok with the first strike gold shield label. It is a little confusing to someone like myself that doesn't usually get coins graded. Can't wait to see it when it comes back.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2020 7:41PM

My two cents ...

"The special V75 label is an extra $10 per coin."
    Check.

"But it is not compatible with "Gold Shield"."
    Check.

"But Express is Gold Shield."
    At $65.00, the "Express" service level includes the $5.00 per coin "Gold Shield" fee.

"So does not mean that V75 label is not available for Express grading?"
    I believe that it means that you forgo the "Gold Shield" features if you opt for "Express" service and the special V75 label.

"I see the ones listed on Ebay are V75 label with no gold shield. Were those graded under modern gold/silver instead of Express?"
    Likely. That said, "Modern Gold" has a "max coin value" of $2,500.00. On a 20XE, I would personally opt for the "Express" level as it provides a higher max insurance amount, both at PCGS and for the return shipping (i.e., $10,000.00). Notwithstanding my aversion to risk and resultant preferences, this is your submission, and it is your call.

"$18 for First Strike and $10 for a fancy label. $28 extra per coin is kind of steep for something that is really nothing..."
    This is a value judgement that each submitter will have to make for themselves. Some, like me, feel that it is worth it. Others will not.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 8:10PM

Is it ok to send it in its plastic capsule if I opened the mint box? I was trying to save them to have to ship that stuff back to me but now I’m reading that they don’t accept acrylic capsules. Am I going to need to move the coin into a Mylar flip, or have you had luck mailing mint capsules in? Without the box being sealed.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked the same question and was told they do accept the airtight capsule for submission

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    I asked the same question and was told they do accept the airtight capsule for submission

Oh good. Thank you!! I’m like I’m not moving that coin haha. I’d just live with it not graded.

• Options

My understanding is that mint plastic capsules are acceptable. I would not want to to slide a mirror proof into a mylar flip. I just hope they send the capsules back to me.

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    My understanding is that mint plastic capsules are acceptable. I would not want to to slide a mirror proof into a mylar flip. I just hope they send the capsules back to me.

Thanks. And they will return packaging. When I sent the enhanced reverse proof in last year I put on the form to return all original government packaging and it was all nicely put in the pcgs slab box, with the graded coin. So hopefully this is the same, but I don’t see why not. The whole thing moves down the line together with your forms and coins, etc.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:
    Is it ok to send it in its plastic capsule if I opened the mint box? I was trying to save them to have to ship that stuff back to me but now I’m reading that they don’t accept acrylic capsules. Am I going to need to move the coin into a Mylar flip, or have you had luck mailing mint capsules in? Without the box being sealed.

I have done this in the past, and encountered no issues.

@Batman23 said:

I have encountered issues with this, even when I ask them to return the OGP. I have taken to specifically asking for the capsule to be returned on the submission form. For example: "Please return all original government packaging, including the capsule."

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Dollar2007 said:

I have done this in the past, and encountered no issues.

Cool. Thanks!

• Options

Just in case anyone has outstanding submission questions ...
    https://www.pcgs.com/v75

• Options

Ok another stupid question. If you are sending them in, mint capsule only, how are you labeling them? The capsules won’t fit in a flip. Maybe I should just tape bubble wrap around the capsules and number that?

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:
    Ok another stupid question. If you are sending them in, mint capsule only, how are you labeling them? The capsules won’t fit in a flip. Maybe I should just tape bubble wrap around the capsules and number that?

Not saying that it is for everyone, but for a capsule that will not fit in a flip due to size ...

I normally fashion an appropriately sized bubble wrap 'envelope' using tape. I then insert the capsule into the 'envelope', and then affix the label to the exterior.

In reality, fairly similar to what you were proposing. :)

Good luck with your submission.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Dollar2007 said:

Not saying that it is for everyone, but for a capsule that will not fit in a flip due to size ...

I normally fashion an appropriately sized bubble wrap 'envelope' using tape. I then insert the capsule into the 'envelope', and then affix the label to the exterior.

In reality, fairly similar to what you were proposing. :)

Good luck with your submission.

Yeah good idea. Thank you again!

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@Dollar2007 said:

I got mine to fit in a flip, tight but it went in.

• Options

@GiveMeProof said:

@Dollar2007 said:

I got mine to fit in a flip, tight but it went in.

Yeah maybe I should have. It seems really right. Especially for the silver. Oh well. I packed it pretty well I think.

• Options

Do you think it's worth getting the V75 AGE graded now or keeping it in mint packaging? I think a wealthy collector would want the the mint packaging.

• Options

@goldenboy101 said:
    Do you think it's worth getting the V75 AGE graded now or keeping it in mint packaging? I think a wealthy collector would want the the mint packaging.

I’d get it graded, especially the gold. Wasn’t sure about the silver being worth it but ended up sending it in too. You can either keep the mint packaging before sending it in or send it in sealed box and ask to get the packaging back. So your not really losing out on anything.

• Options

I think the Wealthy collect> @goldenboy101 said:

I want a PR70 in a holder and I'll keep the packaging elsewhere. But many may prefer to keep raw in the mint packaging. It is all personal preference.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@goldenboy101 said:

I’d get it graded, especially the gold. Wasn’t sure about the silver being worth it but ended up sending it in too. You can either keep the mint packaging before sending it in or send it in sealed box and ask to get the packaging back. So your not really losing out on anything.

But what if you send it in and it comes back non DCAM or grade <70? You would've been better off keeping it sealed.

• Options

@goldenboy101 said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@goldenboy101 said:

But what if you send it in and it comes back non DCAM or grade <70? You would've been better off keeping it sealed.

And there inlies the gamble. Some get 70s, some get less than 70s. I have yet to score a 70 on a submission so I am hoping for the best. If you can't risk getting a 69 or if you don't care if it is graded or not then you probably should keep it as is.

• Options

@goldenboy101 said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@goldenboy101 said:

As far as I was concerned I was not going to risk selling the gold in a sealed box. So it was going to get open either way. The silver, yes that was a gamble, but it’s fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file