Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UFC Lic to Panini

There is a rumor going around in the MMA world that the Panini is getting the official UFC Lic for cards in 2021 and they are dropping Topps.

I do not collect any other sports cards, so not sure if this is good or bad. Topps has done a poor job with the UFC Lic and maybe change is good.

What are the thoughts from other sports collectors... who do you prefer Topps or Panini?

Comments

• Options

@MDLB said:
    Please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Not Panini for UFC. Topps forever !

Rumor so far... not sure who I would prefer. Topps has been phoning in the effort for years.

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

If Panini got the baseball license over Topps, that would suck.

I know UFC is popular, but does it seem like Topps is not doing much with it because UFC fans are not interested in cards and the market is too small right now?

• Options

@CdnOsfan said:
    If Panini got the baseball license over Topps, that would suck.

I know UFC is popular, but does it seem like Topps is not doing much with it because UFC fans are not interested in cards and the market is too small right now?

Could be true... but Topps has also done a poor job with marketing the cards. New fans keep joining the card groups saying they had no idea there were UFC cards. Plus, there are more international collectors coming on board. So, feels like it is growing but a long way to go.

What I like about the UFC cards... they are undervalued right now (but climbing)... and what other sport has arisen in our life times where we are able to get in on the beginning... sport is only 27 yrs old and the first Lic product was in 2009. 500 case limited hobby release.

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

UFC Prizm was released this week and it has been fascinating to watch the feeding frenzy. Topps had the Lic since 2009... and while the 2021 Panini release has some nice rookies, I am at a loss why some collectors are paying $$$ for fighters who had plenty of cards in the Topps releases. Some of the Prizm cards are selling for more than the Topps rookies (base or autos).

Seems like Panini has attracted a lot of new collectors and speculators and while I welcome more UFC card action... the Prizm card values of established fighters with Topps cards makes no sense. Seems like many new collectors are not aware of the Topps cards.

Lots of talk of UFC cards exploding... it has become a global sport and seeing many international collectors taking part now. Be interesting to see where this goes.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a popular global sport. It could take off

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

The ebay prices are all over the map... seems like a lot of speculators/flippers bought product. People paying $$$$ for an auto card of fighter that had 10 auto cards in the previous Topps releases. In the end... hope this is good for the sport and Panini does not over produce (which they will)