Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1928 $50 and $100 gold notes--how would you value?

A NY area dealer sent me obverse images of some gold notes, how would you grade and value these? I got some good opinions on these from one of the members here.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea how to price them (I am completely out of touch with the US currency market) but suspect that the first two $100 notes have been soaked and pressed. Note the waviness in the notes. That usually happens when notes have not been allowed to fully dry before being removed from whatever is pressing them. Close examination would be required to see if the embossing that takes place during the production of the notes is still present. Soaking and pressing usually removes the embossing effect.

All glory is fleeting.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this assessment. Notes looked messed with me too though the paper had some "freshness" to it. Strangely the dealer who tried to palm the notes off on me priced them all at over $1000 each, both $50 and $100 notes. The dealer told me that both he and the other dealer who offered on the notes from the original owner were "close" on their offers for the group.

• mbwizkidmbwizkid Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭

AKA - Steve in Tampa

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could help. I think your assessment is pretty much on. At those prices I'd want to see them in hand and graded.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably worth $600 or so each max.. If grading says VF30 washed, value is very limited.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinoin:

I have always differentiated between "washed and pressed"" and "soaked and pressed". When a note is washed with a detergent of some kind dirt and grime will be removed from any creases that have caused a break in the paper. This is usually very un-eye appealing. These notes should be heavily discounted.

A note that is merely soaked and pressed will lose its embossing but will often lose only a bit of surface dirt and will actually look very presentable, especially if it only had soft "wallet" folds that did not break the paper's surface. These notes will still have good eye appeal and should be discounted much less than notes that have been washed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I can't help ... but they look real nice.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

You are wise to be wary of high end notes that are not certified.
    The top two $100's appear monkey'ed with.
    These are very alluring notes for profiteers to "improve" their selling price as the price jumps are attractive.

I bought raw $100 Gold Cert from Heritage in 2002 who claimed it was Ch CU and wrote a sparkling review of the note. Submitting to grading returned PCGS 45 / PMG 40 (no EPQ/PPQ) .
    You are wise to be wary.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I can't contribute to what they are worth. But I thank you for starting this thread as I learned some very useful information. I've recently got bit by the currency bug during my return to coins. :)