Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I lost on EBAY

I just needed to vent. This is not the end of the world but frustrating none the less. I don't sell on Ebay often. Just when I want to get rid a few cards and use the money to buy other cards. I sold 1 card for $28.00 and someone bought it. They then decided that they did not want it and asked to return it. I was at work when I saw the request for return come in and was distracted and issued the refund right away. Not thinking that I needed to get the card back before I issue the refund. That was my fault. I issued the refund a month ago and still have not gotten the card back and the guy is being and ass about it. When I asked him he told me that he will send it out "tomorrow". This went on for a couple of weeks then he lashes out hat he will send it and that the line at the post office was out the door and he is not going to waste his time standing in line and if I issues a return slip for him I would have had it by now. I called Ebay and they told me that since the case is closed and I already issued the refund there is nothing I can do. It is only $28.00 and I live and learn but this just burns me up. Even If I don't get the card back what else could i do? Thanks for letting me vent.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would find out his phone number and call him 10 times a day, that will get him to the post office

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

what's his ebay ID, I'd love to add him to my BBL

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 9:44AM

Honestly I would just take the loss and forget about it. If you’re ever going to see that card again it might get returned purposely damaged especially if you keep hounding the guy.

I’ve made a somewhat similar mistake before where I was in a rush to package up a sold 3x5 Jordan Come Fly With Me Video Redemption card before heading off to work then came home later that night to find out that I shipped off the top loader that had five of these cards in it by mistake. I immediately contacted my buyer telling him what happened, offered to pay the return shipping and even told him to keep an extra card for himself if he returned the other three cards. He told me he’d contact me after it arrived which he never did then ignored my two other attempts at contacting him. I didn’t end up losing any money out of pocket but my mistake did cost me roughly $40-50 of profit on each card. All I can say is learn from your mistake and move on.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Don't ignore it. It's wrong. Do what you have to do. Meanwhile share his ID here, please.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I basically send polite emails just asking for status on him sending the card. I actually heard back this morning and he said he is sending it out today. We will see in a week. Like I said in the original post, it is not the end of the world and I am out only a few dollars. It just makes me mad that I was taken advantage of. (and not even in the good way) His ID is MJ23DRJ.

• Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Nothing bugs me more than people playing games with sellers. As a seller, and buyer, myself....I reached out to the guy on ebay. I tried to go to bat for you in a ebay message to that user...He says he has no idea what I'm talking about.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Human beings are awful

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 2:43PM

@mknez said:
    what's his ebay ID, I'd love to add him to my BBL

agreed.

@BuckHunter68 said:
    Don't ignore it. It's wrong. Do what you have to do. Meanwhile share his ID here, please.

agreed on principal. wouldn't be about the $28. right is right.

@softparade said:
    Human beings are awful

agreed.

and thanks for providing it. looking out for the greater good of the community.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @blurryface on this one.

Also, lots of shady activity happening with buyer “in_2_hockey“. Saw this on BO, numerous reports of raw card swapping..

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1423285

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I’d be inclined to mail him something terribly embarrassing and address it to mrs.(his name)...you could get creative while keeping it perfectly legal...of coarse that would just cost you more money but hey it just might leave him with some explaining to do 😂

• Options
    edited November 9, 2020 3:10PM

but does HE have anything for sale worth $28?

muhahaha >:)

• Options

@pjb103183 said:
    I’d be inclined to mail him something terribly embarrassing and address it to mrs.(his name)...you could get creative while keeping it perfectly legal...of coarse that would just cost you more money but hey it just might leave him with some explaining to do 😂

sign him up for annual pledges to scientology.

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    I agree with @blurryface on this one.

Also, lots of shady activity happening with buyer “in_2_hockey“. Saw this on BO, numerous reports of raw card swapping..

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1423285

part of a private invite cord of about 30 or so respectable sellers that share ids on problematic buyers. pretty strict on "buyers" that can be added generally w message provided proof required. reasons for being added are: swap outs, returns based off injury, discount requested after the fact, multiple pwe claim of not being delivered, return of different card, flippers who listed same card but couldn't sell w/i 30 days or any type of other fraud. personal squabbles don't apply which is why messages are asked for.

went to go check out this "in_2_hockey" guy and low and behold:

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Jesus, that is massive block list, and we can only see ha-Jd. Presumably there are 100s more.

I have had a few sellers block me, I know this in at least 2 cases because I couldn't message them or bid. One seller I found out when I sniped an item and the bid was rejected. I was upset about that one only because it was a pretty tough item that I don't ever expect to see again. It also sold for $100 less than my bid, so I guess we both lost on that one!

I don't recall what I did to ANY of them specifically, but in the end and for the most part, they are the losers, not me. They lost out on my future business or at a minimum, the amount I might have bid up their items. Here is where someone might toss in that blocking people is usually for good reason and future dealings aren't worth it. However, I have spent a lot of money on ebay over the years and would not consider myself a bad buyer by any stretch of the imagination. I will expect a certain level of professionalism from sellers and will occasionally call someone out on things like poor packaging or item not as described, but this is few and far between the 10,000s of transactions I have had. I have even bought from borderline sellers again, if they had something I really wanted and I just made sure I watched closely for any issues.

To each their own, i know some buyers certainly deserve to be blocked.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2020 8:50PM

@mrmopar said:
    Jesus, that is massive block list, and we can only see ha-Jd. Presumably there are 100s more.

>

worth every bit of time to read and decide to add. scammers scam. that's what they do. very rarely is it a one time thing, especially on ebay. case in point, this in_2_hockey fellow. time will get him though. what these guys are too stupid to realize is that there are algorithms in place that detect rates of disputes and fraud. eventually an internal red flag will get thrown and they'll be done for good. even when they try to open a different account/handle.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

mj23drj is a seller too. Maybe what he did to you will happen to him. Karma is a B*tch.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I just don't understand why many people, when given the opportunity, will steal from someone else. I certainly know that those people exist, but it seems like a good amount of ebayers will do that.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

Thanks for the great responses. just an update. He told me that he sent the card back yesterday and provided me with a tracking number. As I looked up the number on the USPS website, I am getting something back from him. It could be an empty envelope or a box of dog crap but I am getting something...so I have that going for me. I will let everyone know what was behind door number 2 when I get it.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for this miserable situation. I hope you get your card back undamaged.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    Thanks for the great responses. just an update. He told me that he sent the card back yesterday and provided me with a tracking number. As I looked up the number on the USPS website, I am getting something back from him. It could be an empty envelope or a box of dog crap but I am getting something...so I have that going for me. I will let everyone know what was behind door number 2 when I get it.

Maybe he reads the boards and realized we all know who he is now. Funny how after stalling for over a month, the day after you named him, he then decides to mail the card back. I got a feeling it will all work out for you.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    I just don't understand why many people, when given the opportunity, will steal from someone else. I certainly know that those people exist, but it seems like a good amount of ebayers will do that.

Anonymity, and the absence of holding oneself accountable ones actions. How many times do you think that guy walks into Bruno's pizzeria, eats 2 slices, and then tells Bruno he ain't paying? The answer is zero.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Just move on. This guy apparently has a history of this sort of action and unfortunately you made the mistake of refunding before you got the card back. His actions since are a clear indication of the type of person he is so he is definitely not going to return the card. All you can do is let people know his ID so they can block him and move on. Just look at this as a lesson learned.

• Options

Good news. The card arrived back to me today. all is right in the world.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you finally got your card back. Looks like he was only a jerk, and not a thief.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad and a bit surprised you got your exact card back.

• Options

I was surprised as well. Just happy to get it back. it is not that expensive of a card but it is just the principle.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2020 11:49AM

wouldnt be surprised if he reads the boards. a lot of the scammers google their user names bc they dont want to be outed in google searches. alot of times when you post their id, theyll make it seem like they did the right thing so they dont have to burn an account and start over. sad but true.

but, glad it worked out one way or another!

just had my truck stolen a week ago and went to pick it up today. needless to say, not in the same condition at all.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

A seller on ebay should never give a refund before he gets his item back. According to ebay, if he does then the buyer is entitled to keep the item.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 9:15PM

@blurryface said:

just had my truck stolen a week ago and went to pick it up today. needless to say, not in the same condition at all.

Sorry to hear that. I know exactly how that feels. I once had the most beautiful, loaded, and my all-time favorite car, a 2013 Acura TL (SHAWD, for those who 7 folks who care about it :) ) stolen. Thankfully, the cops found it. Not so thankfully, the perps had literally trashed it. I still miss that car. :)