Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How Does PSA Grade "recovered" Panini Stickers?

There are several desirable Panini stickers from the 1970s and 1980s that often show up as "Recovered" - AKA - they were removed from an album. And thus, they either have paper loss (or added paper from sticking!) or residue from adhesive.

How does PSA treat these - is there a Paper Loss notation or a maximum grade that they could receive?

Two examples below:

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

psa 1 at best if i recall.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2020 8:14PM

but it looks like yours mainly has the album paper pulled off and not much paper loss from the card itself.

can of worms here and hate opening it, but it could be soaked to remove the album paper and residue. it's a very fine line and touchy subject. pretty widely accepted in the prewar community if only distilled water is used. ie no cleaning agents.

i, myself, tend to be lax on anything abroad from the 50's to 70's since it was common practice that the cards were supposed to be affixed to the manufactured albums similar to many of the tobacco cards. plus i enjoy actually seeing a presentable back.

with that being said, i would be more than ok with a flip subcategory stating "soaked", similar to how a trimmed or bleached card is labeled as "altered".

• Options

Thanks @blurryface That is really insightful information. I figured there may be a process to remove residue. I actually collect old maps from the 1700s-1800s so I am familiar with paper clean up processes but this was a new one for me.

If you know of any good "soaking" resources/videos, I'd be interested to see them.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2020 4:13PM

@scottfishvan said:
    Thanks @blurryface That is really insightful information. I figured there may be a process to remove residue. I actually collect old maps from the 1700s-1800s so I am familiar with paper clean up processes but this was a new one for me.

If you know of any good "soaking" resources/videos, I'd be interested to see them.

i do not. i've only researched it and have only done 2 golf cards for my personal collection. didn't even grade them. i doubt they ever will be for sale, but should they ever become or if i pass, there's a note on the cardsaver stating "soaked".

but google "soaked and n54" and there's plenty of threads on the process. every "cleaning service" i found also offers other services that i severely disagree with and would not be comfortable supporting them in any manner.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

I have seen a card with paper loss get a 2 but that is the highest I have seen.

Matt

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Venezuelan issued cards usually have that kind of paper loss/residue from being put into albums. I've got a couple and they are 1's with no designations.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@firstbase23 said:
    I have seen a card with paper loss get a 2 but that is the highest I have seen.

Matt

What does a 2 look like? It must be incredible!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    Venezuelan issued cards usually have that kind of paper loss/residue from being put into albums. I've got a couple and they are 1's with no designations.

Agreed.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox