Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GRADED....Ken Griffey Jr Autographed broken back "THE KID" Worth grading?

RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2020 1:18PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So I have a bit of a jalopy of a Griffey Jr. autographed bat.

A little back story. In 1989 and 1990 my mom took me to Tempe for spring training so we could hound for autographs. We stayed at the nice hotel right next door to Tempe Diablo Stadium back when it was home of the Seattle Mariners for spring training. I'd get up early and head to the stadium around 7am to get the players as they came in each day. Pretty sure it was 1990, but near the end of an off day, we were watching with a few other hounders as Griffey was the last one taking batting practice. He shattered his bat and threw it on the ground next to the cage over home plate, then he and the coach went in the tunnel to call it a day. As everyone watching was leaving, my adventurous mom ran on the field and took the broken bat, well the knob stick (with his signature tape wrap) and the barrel (which is a early bat of his that says "THE KID" instead of his name, some smaller parts were left behind. So a few days later we got Griffey to sign the bat while in a scrum of hounders (he initially said he couldn't sign bats, but my mom begged as she whithered in pain from the crush against the rail and he obliged).

After getting the bat back home, I lined up the two pieces and used black electrical tape to affix them back together and for a somewhat tasteful demonstration. Of course it's missing some wood, so looks funny.

So my question is, should i bother having this graded in it's abnormal condition. Second, if I should, would I be better off sending it as I have it, or remove the black tape (attempt to remove the residude) and send it in for grading in 2 pieces?

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 6:22PM

Great story! You know it is real, so are you looking to sell it? If so, you could have it authenticated, otherwise I would leave as is.

Personally, I would try to remove the tape, the broken bat is a great part of the story!

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I collect game used HOF bats. So here’s my take. I would take the tape off and leave it as you found it. It is worth some coin as is and you have to connect your story to the bat. That’s what collectors like. You write up the story with the most exact information as date, place and details that you just shared. Have it on a nice form letter format and sign it. Try selling as is. You may send to Taube to authenticate if you want. That may not be possible, but he knows everything there is to know about player’s bat orders and he may authenticate that way. Junior gamers sell for a nice chunk of change, but broken may sell for less as most buyers want it together. But it’s a great bat and story. Good luck with whatever you do and thanks for sharing!

Scott

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 7:54PM

leave it as is...the story stands on it's own two feet

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@lbcoach20 said:
    You may send to Taube to authenticate if you want.
    Scott

So any reason not to PSA it and instead see if this Taube guy at JT sports will authenticate it.

• Options

@Ironmanfan said:

IMF

@Ironmanfan said:

IMF

You mean leave the tape on it?

Funny thing is, I keep trying to remember if I got in 1989, took it home and taped it, then brought it back in 1990. That would explain why I had the special silver pen. Cause if I obtained the bat and auto in the same year, I would have had to run to a store to get that pen in Arizona which I don't recall. I don't have anything else that I would have had that pen for.

• Options

got the following email back from Taube..... Didn't realize that PSA went through him

Rufuss,
    We are the pro bat authenticators for PSA. You can send the bat to our office. We’ll take a look and give you options, one of which would be to have the bat repaired prior to doing the authentication. The bat is a nice one. Bats with “ The Kid” on the barrel are popular with collectors.
    Go to the PSA web site under the services menu you will find the bat authentication page. Complete a submission form and enclose with the bat.

• Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

This is just my take I wouldn't try and repair it leave it as is don't sell keep as the time you spent with ur mom and pass it down to ya kids. It's a great story and the bat broken I think add more to it. At the end of the day it's up to you. Good luck.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Great mom you have there.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2020 10:02AM

@saucywombat said:
    Great mom you have there.

Thanks, she's the best...

Same year, jose Canseco told her that she was just as bad as these kids that were hounding him as the team was leaving a game with the mariners. Even worse, while my mom got an autograph, Jose took my pen and signed everybody else's stuff, but as he got on the bus, handed my pen back and didn't sign for me!

I did get to be a Bat boy for the Brewers one game vs the mariners as visting teams usually didn't bring their own and would pick a kid from the stands. Back in the days of innocence!

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Ok. So a bat repair on your bat will cost over a grand. I think that keeping it as is would be the coolest thing and keeping it and passing it down the family lines is the thing to do. That bat is cool as all get out and the story is even cooler. Just my take. Good luck!

• Options
    edited November 24, 2020 3:01PM
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2020 3:02PM

Found this under my childhood bed! Doesn't look like there is much value in these since they aren't dead! B)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome story. You would certainly regret ever selling that bat. The memory with your mom is worth exponentially more than the money you would receive. You can make more money, but you can never get your bat back!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

FrakenBat is back!! PSA GU 8.5

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    That is an awesome story. You would certainly regret ever selling that bat. The memory with your mom is worth exponentially more than the money you would receive. You can make more money, but you can never get your bat back!

I agree with Craig. Are you saying you paid 1K to have the bat put back together? Not to be obtuse but I just don't get it unless you are intending to sell it.

Generally players will use the same tape on your handle to tape a broken bat back together before signing it and giving it away. Obviously your situation isn't the same. Good luck with your sale.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.