Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone have Greek, Roman and/or Medieval gold coins to share?

I’ve always loved history and classical history in particular so I’m just wondering if anyone on the forums happens to have any gold coins from those times or medieval times.

I know back in those days gold coins were rarely used due to their value and that most people living in those times probably never even owned a gold coin but I just think the coins of Greece & Rome are beautiful and gold ones are so much easier to see.

Thanks!

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mine, I wish :D
    But this is spectacular:

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 3:39PM

@SmEagle1795, Some posts deserve a huge ♥ instead of a like or agree.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Gam3rBlakeGam3rBlake Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I'm fortunate to own a number of ancient Greek/Roman gold coins. While they were minted in far fewer numbers, they tend to fare better in the elements than silver and bronze because of the non-reactive nature of gold. But, they were also melted down over the years so I suppose it all evens out in the end.

Here's a link to most of mine: https://www.colosseocollection.com/p554191514

And a few favorites:

Found during the excavation of Pompeii from beneath the ash of Mt. Vesuvius, an aureus of Domitian, the last of the Twelve Caesars, depicting Romulus and Remus, the mythological founders of Rome:

An aureus of Hadrian from his Travel Series depicting the god of the Nile (with a sphinx and a crocodile beneath the river god):

One of two gold diobols of Athens in private hands, minted from the melted down statues of Nike on the Akropolis to fund the creation of a navy against Sparta in the Peloponnesian War:

A gold hemidrachm of Thasos depicting Dionysis on the obverse and Hercules in a shooting position on the reverse:

An aureus of Claudius showing the Praetorian Guard temple as a means of engendering loyalty with his troops:

Very nice! I’ve been reading “Ab Urbe Condita” by Titus Livius in the 1st century and it’s fascinating the way the Roman economy worked.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I'm fortunate to own a number of ancient Greek/Roman gold coins. While they were minted in far fewer numbers, they tend to fare better in the elements than silver and bronze because of the non-reactive nature of gold. But, they were also melted down over the years so I suppose it all evens out in the end.

And a few favorites:

Found during the excavation of Pompeii from beneath the ash of Mt. Vesuvius, an aureus of Domitian, the last of the Twelve Caesars, depicting Romulus and Remus, the mythological founders of Rome:

An aureus of Hadrian from his Travel Series depicting the god of the Nile (with a sphinx and a crocodile beneath the river god):

One of two gold diobols of Athens in private hands, minted from the melted down statues of Nike on the Akropolis to fund the creation of a navy against Sparta in the Peloponnesian War:

A gold hemidrachm of Thasos depicting Dionysis on the obverse and Hercules in a shooting position on the reverse:

An aureus of Claudius showing the Praetorian Guard temple as a means of engendering loyalty with his troops:

Those are fantastic !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 7:57PM

I thought I'd share a few of my medieval treasures. Some of my other gold coins can be viewed
    at these two links:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045517/world-gold-coins-anyone-post-em-if-you-got-em/p1
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1046217/its-all-saints-day#latest

From the Riehl mint. This year produced the first Anno Domini dated gold coins.

From the Frankfurt mint. John the Baptist holding a lamb.

From the Nordlingen mint. John the Baptist holding lamb. ID should read I-366a

@Tibor said:

From the Nordlingen mint. John the Baptist holding lamb. ID should read I-366a

Wow those are incredible!

Definitely worthy of being in a museum.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would keep the provenance of that Pompeii piece under wraps less the Italian Government catches wind of it. Even though you may have legal ownership you just never know these days. :(

Very nice Coins BTW!

@SmEagle1795 said:

And a few favorites:

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I think I would keep the provenance of that Pompeii piece under wraps less the Italian Government catches wind of it. Even though you may have legal ownership you just never know these days. :(

Very nice Coins BTW!

@SmEagle1795 said:

And a few favorites:

It was excavated in 1895 and has a lengthy intervening sales history so it's clear from every import restriction.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

A solidus of Justin II

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

@Swampboy said:

A solidus of Justin II

Beautiful!! 😍

• CuAgAu101CuAgAu101 Posts: 10
    edited December 4, 2020 8:16PM

@SmEagle1795 said:

And a few favorites:

Wow those are nice SmEagle1795, I'm not gonna lie, that gold diobol with the two owls is completely stunning. The back story on it is amazing too! I just picked up my first Ionian diobol with a lions head obverse; now I'm hooked on old world!!! Truly classic coins 👍

The Hobby of Kings... and All of Us!