Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

(Least) favorite seller tricks.

Ok, maybe this will be fun. What are some things sellers do on eBay that drive you crazy. I'll start with two:

1. "1976 Walter Payton Rookie Card - PSA 8"... and then when you click in to the listing, it's really a PSA 8 (MC).
  2. When you buy a single card, but didn't notice the shipping was $18. :|

Comments

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I hate when they list a card without giving the qualifier.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

psa "a" auto 10 - highest graded.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

"RARE CARD!!!! LOW POP!!!! EXCELLENT INVESTMENT CARD!!!"

... Uh dude, it's a 1982 Anthony Munoz Psa 8.

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Let’s say I’m searching for a 2000 Bowman Chrome Tom Brady PSA 10. I hate when sellers do this. 2000 Bowman Tom Brady GMA 10 not PSA. Any kind of addition to get their item to show up in my search results. Not chrome, non auto, etc.

• Options
    msubearfanmsubearfan Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Listings that say: BGS 9.5 = PSA 10

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually saw one yesterday that said “PSA 10 not BGS”. Yeah, certainly not BGS....

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2020 5:40PM

All of the above!!

But would like to add - when searching for certain PSA 10's ...
    "Players Name" PSA 10?? - and the card isn't even graded

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

They list a card with a BIN of $100 and its a .05 common

• Options

rp

• Options

Blurry pics has to be my #1 issue. Is it a trick to hide something?? Or incompetence?

• Options

@sjjs28 said:
    All of the above!!

But would like to add - when searching for certain PSA 10's ...
    "Players Name" PSA 10?? - and the card isn't even graded

And the card is like 70/30 centered.

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Blurry pics has to be my #1 issue. Is it a trick to hide something?? Or incompetence?

no more pics. got it.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@NGS428 said:

no more pics. got it.

Just clear pics.

• Options

;)

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mixed messages on shipping fees.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

"Non auto" is my current peeve, when searching for autographs. Do people think if they trick you into clicking onto your BS listing, that you'll just cave and buy?

It is also too bad there are not certain categories that could be refined and consolidated, so that everyone used the same term. I think it would help both buyer, sellers and by virtue of better sales, help ebay too.

Autograph, autographed, autographs, Auto, Auto'd, signed, sign, signature. How many items are missed because people use one variation of what is basically the same thing? If I had my way, "AUTO" would be the approved keyword for signed sports memorabilia. It is short and to the point, saving characters so better descriptions can be written and is probably the most common form anyway.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

When someone posts a multi-card lot and it's priced higher than if you bought those cards individually.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

When a card that is priced above what identical cards have sold for and shows up month after month after month.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

the fake listing, free paypal loan "trick".

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Raw cards that are PSA 10s 🤬🤬🤬

• Options

When searching for PSA 10 cards and the title reads "PSA 9 - only 6 PSA 10 examples".
    Feel free to explain that in the description, NOT in the title.

Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

photoshopped image.

putting a popular players name in another players card with intention that it will show up under the popular players search. (ie. 2020 Austin Hedges Fernando Tatis Jr. teammate!!!!!) ***putting PSA on non-PSA card for search purposes as well.

Attaching NM or Mint to a listing of a raw card that is nowhere near that grade. This one is particularly annoying when attempting to fill sets. I am working on a set and looking for a few cards in NM condition and my searches find that 90% of the NM cards listed for these cards are at best Good/EX. Basically, it's Greg Morris or bust when trying to find solid singles to fill in the gap.

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:
    Raw cards that are PSA 10s 🤬🤬🤬> @Moonman said:
    They list a card with a BIN of $100 and its a .05 common

Case in point, someone just listed this for $1000 with a listing of "PSA 10???" :D:D:D

• Options

"ebay 1/1" ... when it is really number 97/100.

• Options

^ yeah that "hilgenberg 10" is more like a hindenburg.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

almost forgot a couple favorites.

Basically, any vintage packs not PSA or BBCE graded. They all have the same formula where they sell it straight-forward as a pack then masked away in the description they add a small blurb that says something to the effect"may be tampered with so I cannot be sure. no returns" to attempt to cover their fraud.

Reprint cards. These sellers hope that you do not read the fine print and purchase their fakes unknowingly. They share the same practice of acknowledging it in a place where people tend not to read.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Having a BIN with BO for $900 on a $10 card.

• Options

Having a best offer but no intention of taking anything less than the BIN and they don’t decline your offer.. that one is near the top of the list for me...

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Having a best offer but no intention of taking anything less than the BIN and they don’t decline your offer.. that one is near the top of the list for me...

I was told that this is not necessarily the "seller"'s fault. I was told that eBay either sometimes forces a Best Offer or makes it difficult to avoid. I'm not a seller, so I don't know for sure, but if I wanted to sell for a fixed price I might be sufficiently annoyed at "low ball" offers that I wouldn't bother to respond.

• Options

@daltex said:

@NGS428 said:

I was told that this is not necessarily the "seller"'s fault. I was told that eBay either sometimes forces a Best Offer or makes it difficult to avoid. I'm not a seller, so I don't know for sure, but if I wanted to sell for a fixed price I might be sufficiently annoyed at "low ball" offers that I wouldn't bother to respond.

True. As a seller, I set an auto decline for those lowball offers. Give me something close to the BIN and we can work something out.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

True. As a seller, I set an auto decline for those lowball offers. Give me something close to the BIN and we can work something out.

If the BIN is reasonable, then I wouldn't expect the Best Offer accepted to be far off. But all the time I see cards at 2x or 3x from the highest auction price paid - and sure, try and get what you want - but then the BIN gets auto-rejected at well above a reasonable price.

If a $100 card has a $120 BIN, I can see the BO being $100.
    If a $100 card has a $250 BIN, the BO shouldn't be auto-rejecting $190 offers.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of seller tricks, some sucker will end up buying this custom Jordan “1984 Topps RC” thinking its probably real.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Jordan-1984-Topps-Rookie-Card/303747652751?hash=item46b8c55c8f:g:oLIAAOSwMQNfnYbj

• Options

My "favorite" is when you inquire about a Buy-It-Now with the price being 50% higher than what the card has ever sold for. You ask if they'd be willing to lower to a more realistic price. Then the next thing you know they go back in and increase the Buy-It-Now price.

In what world does that make any sense?

So I have a card that no one has shown any interest in at an unrealistic asking price and once I do find someone with interest, I raise the price even more??

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like when they say "no reserve" but the opening bid is higher than market value

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

When they list every card they sell as an "extremely high end example."

Brian

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

There's a few, but my least favorite trick is when a seller on eBay tells me he already has an offer on his card ( unreasonably high), but if I'm willing to match it, he'll sell it to me.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

The above and those who take pictures at an angle trying to disguise the centering, tilt etc.

• Options
    Tere1071Tere1071 Posts: 163 ✭✭

This has always bothered me. When a card is in vg/ex to ex condition and the seller begins with "Book at so and so price," which means the stated mint price. It gives the impression that you're getting a deal, but that isn't the case. You are paying the price of what the card is selling for in its current, lesser condition. Probably we already understand that, but I've never liked the price comparison between something that is near perfect/perfect to something that is lesser in grade as a selling tool.