Home Sports Talk

Time warp

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could watch players from different eras compete against eachother, who would you like to see? All sports welcome!

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 4:03AM

I would like to have seen Brady and Montana compete in a Super Bowl, everything on the line.

edited November 3, 2020 4:04AM

Ali vs Louis, both in their prime.

Ruth vs Maddux.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to see Barry Sanders and Jim Brown play in each other’s eras. Also Brady in Montana’s era and vice versa, both scenarios would be my top two choices. Of the two I think Barry would have the biggest impact and be that much better.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see Sandy Koufax pitching for the 1965 Dodgers in a game against Ty Cobb, Jimmie Foxx, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Joe DiMaggio, Tris Speaker, and Mel Ott. With Babe Ruth as the opposing pitcher. The Dodgers would probably win 1-0 on a 2 out bottom of the ninth Maury Wills steal of home.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would finally like to see prime Ali vs prime Tyson. someone is getting knocked out!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

I would love to see Dan Marino play in todays NFL with all the rule changes. forget Brady, Manning and Brees. no one would catch the records Dan would put up.

I would pay lots of money to see Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens go back in time and pitch against Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Ruth, Foxx, Hornsby, Williams, Cobb, Jackson and all the old greats.

Maybe Pedro would really drill the bambino!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I would pay lots of money to see Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens go back in time and pitch against Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Ruth, Foxx, Hornsby, Williams, Cobb, Jackson and all the old greats.

That sounds great. Pedro and Roger are two of my favorite pitchers, maybe my favorites. I would usually say Pedro. I often add Maddux. Clemens was such an old school pitcher, very connected to the legendary pitchers he was chasing in the record books. Remember how crazy he was in his first playoff game?

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

That sounds great. Pedro and Roger are two of my favorite pitchers, maybe my favorites. I would usually say Pedro. I often add Maddux. Clemens was such an old school pitcher, very connected to the legendary pitchers he was chasing in the record books. Remember how crazy he was in his first playoff game?

I do. He brought a football mentality to baseball. I think that is what drew me to him. I also remember him getting so fired up for playoffs. getting ejected against oakland and throwing the bat at Piazza.

there is also the story told that before big starts he would have the trainer rub his testicles down with the hottest liniment oil they could find and he would snort like a bull. then he was ready to pitch. strange, but hardcore for sure

I wouldn't mind watching these two slug it out on a Sunday for a major, The Open Championship, or a US Open perhaps.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

One on One matchups
    Bill Russell vs Shaq
    Shaq vs Wilt
    LeBron vs Bird
    LeBron vs Magic
    Brady vs Montana

Brady vs Marino vs Jim Kelly vs Peyton Manning all in the AFC East at the same time

Any of these teams facing off against any of the others:
    MJ/Pippen/Rodman Bulls
    Bird/Mchale/Parrish or Russell/Cousy/Heinsohn Celtics
    Magic/Kareem/Worthy or Shaq/Kobe/Fisher Lakers
    LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat
    Duncan/Robinson/Elliot or Duncan/Parker/Manu/Kawhi Spurs
    Curry/Klay/Green/Durant Warriors

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I do. He brought a football mentality to baseball. I think that is what drew me to him. I also remember him getting so fired up for playoffs. getting ejected against oakland and throwing the bat at Piazza.

there is also the story told that before big starts he would have the trainer rub his testicles down with the hottest liniment oil they could find and he would snort like a bull. then he was ready to pitch. strange, but hardcore for sure

I hadn't heard that. Just did some reading. Interesting. And before that he would be in the hot tub at the highest temp and come out "looking like a lobster".

Would these acts leave him with pain that lasted through the game, and block out any pain in his shoulder or arm? Maybe.

Earnie Shavers was one of the hardest punchers in the history of boxing. I have to show this punch again. I would like to have seen Earnie Shavers fight Mike Tyson. The great Muhammad Ali was once quoted as saying Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever faced. In this clip, Earnie drops Larry Holmes with a vicious punch. To his credit, Larry got up and won the fight by knocking Earnie out, but Earnie Shavers vs Mike Tyson would have been explosive. This is just a vicious punch from Earnie Shavers.

I actually have an Earnie Shavers card on the way to me in the mail, but it hasn't gotten here yet. The USPS and me are at war right now due to their incompetence. They're doing this to me on purpose, they always have to be on a power kick!

@doubledragon said:
    Earnie Shavers was one of the hardest punchers in the history of boxing. I have to show this punch again. I would like to have seen Earnie Shavers fight Mike Tyson. The great Muhammad Ali was once quoted as saying Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever faced. In this clip, Earnie drops Larry Holmes with a vicious punch. To his credit, Larry got up and won the fight by knocking Earnie out, but Earnie Shavers vs Mike Tyson would have been explosive. This is just a vicious punch from Earnie Shavers.

Interesting bit of info in his Wikipedia. Is this story true? Sounds very possible.

@thisistheshow, Wow, I've never heard that story before. That is wild stuff! It's probably true! 😂😂

that is a great story. I love this thread