Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Looks like series 2 and 3...amazing stuff!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

I love it

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Not that I'm pessimistic about this auction, but for such great value why wouldn't he get some experts involved? I would even personally fly it to Steve's to get it authenticated. His description sounds like he's selling a $50 item. I've had it forever, I don't know much about it, but here it is.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

To receive top dollar...the seller needs to have BBCE authenticate the box. Then for a high-priced item...sell it through a major auction house such as Memory Lane, Heritage Auctions, REA, or Mile High. I would even include PWCC in this list of sellers.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    Not that I'm pessimistic about this auction, but for such great value why wouldn't he get some experts involved? I would even personally fly it to Steve's to get it authenticated. His description sounds like he's selling a $50 item. I've had it forever, I don't know much about it, but here it is.

Based on what else they have for sale they may not know a whole lot about cards. Probably just did enough research to see what a single rack pack sold for.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

Steve has already seen this box and the racks are legit.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really dislike 1973 Topps design. Very depressing IMO. There’s some color trying to sneak out but it’s squashed.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

Agreed, it seems to happen a lot. Sometimes with really good, legit stuff. More often, it's junk. The lack of effort to properly sell not only hurts their bottom line, but sometimes prevents the right person from seeing the listing as well. For that kind of money, I am writing a book and adding in any appropriate keyword, if not selling outside of ebay at an auction house.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, in this case, given the opening bid, there is no fear of the item selling for a lot less than it is worth.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Amazing box. How can you not authenticate a 1973 BB rack box? I would of personally hand delivered the box to Steve at BBCE for authentication.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@dontippet said:

Why isn’t it wrapped?

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer my racks unwrapped 😖

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

@grote15 said:

@dontippet said:

Why isn’t it wrapped?

He didn't want to pay to have it wrapped but was shopping it around.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

That the dream of every collector. Be asked to help clean out an old mom and pop convenient store that closed in 1987. In the store room under the old candy are boxes of unopen. Take your pick. 1952 Topps to 1996 Fleer. Wake up in a cold sweat with only a few packs of 1990 Topps.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one. I would LOVE to have the rack with Stargell on top.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grote- Amazing rack pack!

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Just think if it sell eBay will make $10k.

• Options

@ElvisP said:

No, final value fees on ebay are capped at $750.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Grote- Amazing rack pack!

Thanks, Darin!

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those rack packs are awesome! I would love to own just one. I love the 73 card design. Some crazy photos were taken that we will never see again on cards (Cars in background, players making errors, etc.).

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condition:Brand New
    Time left:Time left:10h 25m 3s Today 8:22PM
    Starting bid:US $84,999.00
    [ 0 bids ]

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@ElvisP said:

No, final value fees on ebay are capped at $750.

Interesting. If you could sell a large collection for anywhere close to what it might be worth, that is the way to go.

In the early days of ebay, when they had infrequent free list days and anything went (no cost for high starting bid prices), I listed my entire collection (about 25 years worth) with the thought that although I doubted anyone would buy it at the price I was asking, if someone did I'd be out of the game and a lot richer. I had planned to list a basic auction immediately with no detail and just a huge price, then add pictures and descriptions to it as time permitted, not really expecting anyone to actually buy it (but it was free to try). I never got much past the listing part as some asshole immediately started messaging me, cracking about how my collection was not worth a fraction of what I was asking. He claimed he was THE premier buyer of card collections and my asking price was well beyond any other collections listed before and his "me" page (remember those?) had a cheesy photo of him holding a bunch of fanned out cash. The funny part was, he had absolutely no clue what was in my collection because I had not gotten to that part yet. He was just bashing it based on the asking price (which was quite high to protect myself). Me being me, I had to tell him off of course, but my motivation to add details and images and try to make this listing seem as legit as possible was fading at that point. it would have been interesting to see if I got any legit offers once I had all the details, but that point never happened.

Would have been cool to sell out and only pay $750!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

You would think for 85K they would throw in free shipping. 😂😂😂

• Options

No bites:

Ended:Nov 01, 2020 , 8:22PM
    Starting bid:US $84,999.00[ 0 bids ]
    Shipping:$11.55 Expedited Shipping
    Item location:Glenshaw, Pennsylvania, United States

• Options

Market value is probably closer to 70K for the box.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    You would think for 85K they would throw in free shipping. 😂😂😂

If I sold something on eBay for anything close to $85K I think I would have it registered, insured and signed delivery with possible DNA and blood sample provided just to make sure it arrives safely. I would cover this cost as part of the 85K and list it as free shipping. I am not sure what his $11.55 covers but that is very risky on his end.

• Options

@stevek said:
    No bites:

Clearly the market agrees with my earlier assessment.

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@stevek said:
    No bites:

The fact that no one feels the box is worth $85K doesn’t indicate that folks don’t like it 😁

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@stevek said:
    No bites:

The fact that no one feels the box is worth $85K doesn’t indicate that folks don’t like it 😁

I would say its a factor....non conclusive.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2020 12:02PM

I actually like the 1973 set..the horizontal action shots are especially cool, imo. The design of the set has nothing to do with its potential value. 86K was an aggressive ask price for 24 73 racks even in this market.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a little surprised it didn't sell. If it's not worth 85K now it will be in the future.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

For that price I fly to wherever you are and physically hand you the box and have you sign for it with a picture of the transaction!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Well if the "story" the seller told is true, then of course he's got virtually no money tied up in it.

The fact that he wants to sell, says he needs the money for whatever reason or perhaps is an older gentleman just parting with something valuable to make an inheritance easier on his children.

In any event, i would think that this item would be available for sale again real soon. Unless someone made him a private offer by now and he took it.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    Should be certified by BCCE. Plain and simple. No excuse for it not to be. If you know enough to put an 80 thousand dollar price tag on it, then you know enough that it needs to be authenticated. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Come on...

Steve did review the racks and confirmed the box was authentic. He was offered a strong price (imo) but wanted to let the auction run its course on ebay. The box will sell but whether he gets what he's looking for is another story. One thing we have learned with unopened over the past few years is that patience rewards those who wait when it comes to selling.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction was ended.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2020 10:19AM

Any reason why ?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

usually w top tier items, you must overpay to secure them.

it will get to $85k sooner then later regardless of what the overall consensus is on the '73 aesthetics.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2020 11:48AM

@Goldenage said:
    Any reason why ?

The auction wasn't ended early. It just ended normally without a bid at 85K.

• Options

eBay community has a discerning eye when it comes to quality of card designs.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    eBay community has a discerning eye when it comes to quality of card designs.

about the same as comc has to shipping them.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Goldenage said:
    Any reason why ?

The auction wasn't ended early. It just ended normally without a bid at 85K.

I just figured you sneaked it out the back door.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

• Options
    edited November 13, 2020 3:43PM
  • Options

Exactly. He passed on a private offer of 72K. I doubt he nets that much now with auction fees and BP.

• Options

Yeah, it would have to approach six figures.