Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No luck with my Rookie Gretzky

I am 48 years old. One of my first card memories is going to a local card store with my older brother and parents back in 1981/1982. I remember paying 3 whole dollars for a Gretzky rookie. It has long since been my prized card, not for its value really, but for the childhood memory it represents.

I sent it to PSA 12 or so years ago and had it come back the dread N6 MINSIZEREQ. I waited another year or so and sent it in again...with the same result.

So, I decided a few months back to send it to SGC just to get it in a slab. Well, the grade popped today. Or I should say no grade popped today. It is on the way back to me with the notification "evidence of trimming". PSA didn't find evidence of trimming in their two times with the card and I doubt the LCS trimmed it almost 40 years ago...far before Gretzky became the Great One.

UGGGHHH.

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Have you measured it? Do you have a scan?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Try bgs. Worth a shot

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 4:12PM

While it is a bummer that your card is possibly trimmed, such a marquee card still has quite a bit of value even in that condition. Heritage auctioned off a beautiful Hank Aaron RC a few weeks ago that was graded SGC authentic, and it brought $4200. So while it may not be the card you hoped for, it's probably still worth more money than you paid and a desirable card to own for many collectors.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

You didn’t say if Topps or OPC?

I could have written the same post about my Gretz Topps rookie. Bought it when I was maybe 12, held it for 25+ years. That card made so many trips to CA trying to get slabbed he has his own frequent flyer number. And same results as you - PSA N6, SGC EOT.

For the same reasons as you, I know mine ain’t trimmed. It came out of the pack small.

Eventually I got mine slabbed Authentic. For protection, but mostly bc the kids know when I eventually keel over the slabbed ones are worth the money.

It might take biting the bullet to get just the A when you know it hasn’t been tampered with, but in most any buyers view a raw Gretzky is a fake Gretzky.

Good luck and know you’re not alone.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Same here. I got a Gretzky out of a pack and it came back MINSIZE REQ. However, the card is slightly smaller that a regular card. I have a few others from the Gretzky pack and they are all the same size. maybe I should send it for a Authentic Grade.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 6:31PM

I've had several cards come back MINSiZE REQ. I've never liked that designation. If a card hasn't been tampered with and is not miscut, I just think it should still be gradeable. It is a factory produced, unaltered card. Just my opinion. It's different if it has been trimmed or something.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive had a bunch of cards come back N6 lately, none with evidence of trimming. simply that they were factory cut short. all TPG have really buckled down recently on these issues and for those of us with cards measuring factory short/narrow, it sucks.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 9:44AM

Odd. My Gretzky sub was a 1 card sub to SGC. I just opened the package up and the card looks different to me... like it may not be the card I sent them.

I was expecting to get a SGC 5. Maybe a 6 if the grading winds were blowing my way.

But, the card I am looking at now looks like a 7 or even 8 candidate.

I don’t have pictures to compare and maybe it is just my mind playing tricks on me. Uggghh

• Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 9:49AM

Here is a scan...

• Options
    Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Nice centering, but the upper right side looks wavy.