Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2 Cent Piece oddity

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I replaced this 2 cent piece in my 7070 a couple of years ago due to the stains and dirt and it has lain in a drawer since. Recently POCKETCHANGE posted his beautiful brown 2 Cent Piece and reminded me of it. I was looking to see if large or small motto and noticed this oddity, perhaps two. The missing piece of the D in UNITED may be from a grease filled die. The cut in STATES was pretty much PMD until I noticed the anomaly at the end of the first part of the cut, it appeared to join the Letter E and across the Letter S the anomaly continues then the end of the cut out of the S. Just curious as to your opinions.
Thanks,
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume it's an 1864?

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe MCD-001? (misaligned clash).
    Not sure but it looks close.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like lam. cracks across the E/S.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Yes, 1864.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2020 9:26PM

The missing top serif in D could be due to a hub defect / injury.
    Just looking at the photos in PCGS Coinfacts:
    1. The serif is present on most of the 1864 photos
    2. The serif is missing on 8/9 1865 photos
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1865-2c-bn/3582

Breen's Encyclopedia, p.238:

... the 1863 large-motto coin claimed as a
    prototype may be a product of sometime between late 1864 and
    1870, as its rev. die was made after the hub was injured (missing
    top serif of D of UNITED), as in many coins dated 1865-70,
    but unlike most 1864s.

There are similar missing parts of letters on half dimes of the 1860s, three cent nickels, and shield nickels.

• Options

Is there a possibility of this being a restrike from the later hub which would have the missing top serif of the D? Reading Richard Giedroyc's article on the 2 Cent Piece and how it came to be made with the missing top serif alludes to the possibility of a Restrike with the later die.
    Jim

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2020 11:22PM

Could you please share a link to this article?
    I found his summary on the CoinFacts page, but I didn't see a mention of the missing top serif on D there.

• Options

You are right, yosclimber. I read articles yesterday on the 2 Cent Piece I have never read before, I believe I put together the missing top serif on the D and the restrike possibilities of the 64 and 71 and associated them with Richard Giedroyc's brief article. After much reconsideration, I would imagine that had a restrike occurred their would be many more higher quality examples of the 1864 coins than seem to exist. I apologize.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file