Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

desert shield

It is getting so hard to find 1991 topps desert shield on ebay that are not fake.
For any of you expert desert shield people could you look at this card and tell me what you think.
It is item #373301253320 on ebay.Greg Madoxx card #35
I say it is not the real deal.
not sure how to put a link to it

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 9:31AM
  • Options

thanks for the help///the shield is not right!!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

So they can still be PSA graded and fake?
    How can you tell by the shield.

I am doing NY Yankees psa

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

the tree trunk with the 2 gaps in the middle of it.(this is a dead give away).
    and the box that says operation desert shield.
    bottom line on it should be wider and more angle on left side of box.

• Options

I was one of the first people to sub large numbers of these selling many if not most of the first ever PSA 10s. There is quite a bit of variety given that the foil can be "light" or "heavy" The palm extending all the way down to the text box are the most common fakes. I agree that the palm trunk look bad. I wouldn't go so far as to say for certain. I'll include some variety from some cards I had laying around....these are all PSA slabbed and I busted them straight from boxes. I know they are all legitimate cards.

I don't handle these anymore, haven't for maybe 10 years but the foil does vary quite a bit from card to card. I could help more with scans if needed. I still have a few of these. I subbed hundreds and hundreds about 12-15 years ago.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

This had me thinking and so I went on ebay to look through some of the cards for sale. This is typical of the fakes, I think. The palm goes all the way to the text box and the word "Operation" is offset, more to the left than on original cards. Yes, it's in a PSA 10 holder but could be before we really knew how good the fakes were. I'm not certifying anything but I would bet dollars to donuts that is not real. Buyer beware for sure with this issue.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    So they can still be PSA graded and fake?
    How can you tell by the shield.

I am doing NY Yankees psa

1. PSA is not perfect. The guarantee is only that you will be made whole if they encapsulate a fraud.
    2. There are, unfortunately, fraudulent PSA holders around. I'd bet that not all cards in those holders are legitimate.
  • Options

I remember being at a card show in Virginia Beach as a teenager in the early 90s. Being a big military town These were everywhere. I wish I had bought more. Only have a nice smoltz and Larkin. Such a cool story with these cards but I wonder how many actually made it to their intended destination.

• Options

there is also a barry bonds that is also suspicious
    item ebay . #124410838387.The shield is printed in the wrong
    place. ( psa cert#46509526).same seller has several that look suspicious.
    I have delt with these cards for almost 30 years .So i have a good eye for
    the ones that are fake.I bought a graded card couple months ago and sent it to
    the company that authenticated it., it was fake.I did get a refund from seller.

• Options

That bonds is one of the easy fakes to spot as the palm leave goes all the way down and touches the text box. Not sure how that slipped by a grader but it is the most common fake.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options

That fake greg maddox is up to1200 dollars what a shame.
    I got hold of PSA about it but have not heard back from them.
    The bonds is up to 150.
    any other thoughts?

• Options

PSA tells me they have reached out to seller.Seller says cards are from a consignment sale.
    here is a fake shield example

• Options

here is a fake and a real one

• Options

bottom is fake

• Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Honestly, it's not even a good fake.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 4:37PM

Hi,

In 1991 A buddy and I picked some DS cards from an ad in the old SCD. This Ripken #150 was sent to PSA about a year ago - came back with 9. After reading this topic I'm now concerned if it is authentic. Looking for evaluations. Many Thanks!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Yes that is the real deal.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks doubleg0244 !!!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.