Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Rare Canadian 1936 Dot Cent

The 1936 King George V Dot Cent is a coin that has enthralled collectors for decades. The Royal Canadian Mint reported striking 678,823 pieces, but only a tiny number are known today, and all the extent pieces are Specimen strikings, not circulation issues or business strikes.

All three specimens have commanded six-figure prices at auction. In the initial sales the coins took over $100,000, and in more recent years the trio of rare 1936 Dot Cents have fetched much more. The record price of $402,500 goes to an example that sold in 2010 and is currently graded PCGS SP65RB, the same grade as the other of two PCGS-graded specimens.

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/rare-canadian-1936-dot-cent

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson went on to live happily ever after as Duke and Duchess of Windsor, following their marriage in 1937.

Uh, they had a very troubled and turbulent marriage - both allegedly had affairs with others into the 1950's. Edward VIII may have let the throne for the "woman he loved", but theirs was a loveless marriage.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using bags of those as doorstops. ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 7:15AM

What causes the unsightly "pooling-like" discoloration on the reverse (and a little on the obverse) of that coin?

That's a mighty expensive "dot" :wink::lol:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I bought a 36 dot quarter out of a junk silver box, about 1983.