Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball Cello pack insert

Hi I have a 1972 Topps Baseball Cello pack graded 8.5 12 card version. At first glance it looks from one side like the cards are bowing a bit in the GAI case. But when I checked closer with a flashlight I noticed what looks like an insert (smaller sized than the cards) causing the bowing. Can anyone tell me what the insert is? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

I think the insert is the game insert card from 1992 topps winner

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it gum? Or perhaps a mis-cut card? Not familiar with 1972 Inserts.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 12:51PM

The 12 card “grocery cello” packs from 1972 (and all other years in that vicinity) are not legitimate Topps products. GAI incorrectly authenticated them until they realized their error and stopped. But no 1972 packs of any kind contain an insert. It could be gum.

• Options

Could be gum I just didn't realize it could the stick could get in between the cards in a sealed pack.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no legitimate 12-card cellos from 1972 or any other year from 1970 through 1980. Those packs are homemade so who knows what you will find.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like the OP is not aware that cello packs (real ones that is) have the gum between two stacks of cards, creating that bowing effect. The fabricated cellos were likely made the same way?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, in a legit 1972 jumbo cello pack, the gum is located near the top third of the pack, not in the middle which was the case later on in the 1970s. All of the mistakenly holdered 1972 cello packs bear a GAI cert # beginning with 102XXX, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 9:02PM

12 card ‘72 cello? hmm

eta: nevermind, the pros beat me to it. consider paul/grote pretty much akin to the gospel op.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of those early 70's 12 card cellos are junk.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21