Home Sports Talk

Given the state of affairs in Dallas, should the Cowboys dump salary and re-build?

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like the smart thing to do now, things have really taken a bad turn lately.

Al H.

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 12:44PM

Earth to Steven Jones. You made a mistake. Don’t wait. Fire the whole coaching staff today. Bring in a young energetic college coach with fresh ideas. Start dealing, or cutting your big salary, no production players. The season is over but save your money and rebuild TODAY! You can get some draft choices for a few of the bums you paid $20M a year. Take anything. Get some draft choices for your DL. Find a willing trade partner for Zeke and his over paid salary. Take a 3rd rounder. Build now before you pay this team another dime.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure worked before for them with that Herschel Walker deal.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

they had their problems last year and now the injuries have compounded that and made the few really good players left standing wholly ineffective. I watched an overview of Sunday's game and the Cowboys looked terrible. I can almost hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth coming from Dimeman's house. :p

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭

I realize Dalton took that cheap shot but before that, he was terrible. Looked like he had never played a game in the NFL and not the seasoned veteran Dallas thought they were getting. And the defense is giving up points by the boatload right from the start of the season. Not sure how you can address all those areas in one draft. Just draft another WR; get some more weapons.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    I realize Dalton took that cheap shot but before that, he was terrible. Looked like he had never played a game in the NFL and not the seasoned veteran Dallas thought they were getting. And the defense is giving up points by the boatload right from the start of the season. Not sure how you can address all those areas in one draft. Just draft another WR; get some more weapons.

dalton? come on dont blame any of the QB's the defense will give up 60 points any day now .

Blame Jerry Jones , everything he touches turns out this way.

I'm not blaming Dalton. I'm just saying that when you get out and sign a veteran signal caller, one who has started many games and took teams to the playoffs, you would expect your offense to perform better than they did with him under center. Was reading that he didn't even know the protection calls and the formations; what the hell was he doing in the offseason????

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 7:08PM

@JRR300 said:
    Was reading that he didn't even know the protection calls and the formations; what the hell was he doing in the offseason????

Where did you read that?

Edited to add: I haven't seen or heard that, so I'm curious.

@thisistheshow said:

@JRR300 said:
    Was reading that he didn't even know the protection calls and the formations; what the hell was he doing in the offseason????

Where did you read that?

It was one of the national NFL writers on the CBS NFL page. It was written the week before after the Arizona game. They were questioning how, while on a one year prove it contract, he could be so unprepared.

@JRR300 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@JRR300 said:

Where did you read that?

It was one of the national NFL writers on the CBS NFL page. It was written the week before after the Arizona game. They were questioning how, while on a one year prove it contract, he could be so unprepared.

I think I found it, or an updated version , thanks!

national writers ? those idiots?

adam schefter said the patriots were brilliant for only spending 2.5 million on QB's this year :D

@bronco2078 said:

adam schefter said the patriots were brilliant for only spending 2.5 million on QB's this year :D

LMAO. They surely got what they paid for.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

😂😂😂

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2020 10:16AM

why is it every time i see schefter on tv i envision a dude who spends 3 hours making sure every hair is in place before hitting the air and then prances into a club after work and mutters "every chick in here wants me"

Should the Cowboys dump their entire roster and coaches and start over. YES!
    I’m going to give an example of how it’s done with the right owner, GM and coach.
    For years the Bills put patches on the team and finished 7-9, 8-8 forever. Bad salaries, bad drafts, bad free agents with overblown salaries. Remember Rex Ryan? The Bills new owners gave up after 2016. They brought in Brandon Beane and Sean McDermitt unfortunately after the draft. (Traded 10th pick to KC and they chose Mahomes)
    2017 with existing roster backed into the playoffs.
    2018 Traded draft choices to move up and take Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds. Missed the playoffs
    2019 free agents Cole Beasley and John Brown. 10-6. One and done.
    2020 Trade a #1 and change for Stephon Diggs 5-2 atop the division.

There is only 1 player, Jerry Hughes DE from the 2016 team. That’s a plan and the team never missed a beat. Never were tanking. Always played well with a good defense but lack luster offense.
    You can rebuild without a 3-13 season. But you have to have a plan. Congratulations to Brandon Beane. The guy should be GM of the year for 3 years. Congratulations to McDermitt for putting a good product on the field while over hauling the whole team.

W.C.Fields

My question is are they really going to win anything with Allen at QB? Looks like they're stuck in 10-6 or 9-7 mode, amke the playoffs and one and done. I do like McDermitt for what he has done, but I think he's doomed to fail with that QB.

edited October 27, 2020 11:24AM

@JRR300 said:
    My question is are they really going to win anything with Allen at QB? Looks like they're stuck in 10-6 or 9-7 mode, amke the playoffs and one and done. I do like McDermitt for what he has done, but I think he's doomed to fail with that QB.

Allen is 24 and has improved his accuracy from 50%, 58% to 67% this year. They sorely need a better running game. Only time will tell but I think he’s the guy. All of Buffalo thinks he’s the guy so yeah Buffalo lives and dies on his right arm at the moment. But they are still 3 or 4 players away from elite. It it’s fun to have a winner after 25 years of mediocre.

W.C.Fields

how can you write off a guy like Josh Allen after two seasons??

The real gist of my post was there is only one player left from 2016 on the roster and they’ve made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years.

W.C.Fields

@keets said:

No me! Never. He’s the man. 6’5” 240 lb cannon arms don’t grow on trees. One reason he was drafted was he played in weather in Wyoming and Buffalo has weather along with high swirling winds. He’s my guy to do or die with.
    @JRR300 already wrote him of after 32 professional games.

W.C.Fields

@galaxy27 said:
    why is it every time i see schefter on tv i envision a dude who spends 3 hours making sure every hair is in place before hitting the air and then prances into a club after work and mutters "every chick in here wants me"

except he is actually saying every dude in here

IMO the leaker has been exposed and traded to the Lions.

W.C.Fields

'dueces, my comment was directed at JRR300, I'm in your camp with JA.

@2dueces said:

@keets said:

No me! Never. He’s the man. 6’5” 240 lb cannon arms don’t grow on trees. One reason he was drafted was he played in weather in Wyoming and Buffalo has weather along with high swirling winds. He’s my guy to do or die with.

I don't watch the Bills play week in and week out, but for me, he doesn't pass the eye test. Just something about his throws. I just don't leave after watching one of his games with the impression that it is just a matter of time for him. I can see that he has all the physical tools, but something is missing. I don't want a guy that will just manage a game, and he's a better QB than that. For my money, late in a big game, needing a TD to win, he's not the guy I want . Not saying that he's not good; I just don't think he can win the big game with his arm. JMO

edited October 27, 2020 7:19PM

@JRR300 said:

@2dueces said:

@keets said:

I don't watch the Bills play week in and week out, but for me, he doesn't pass the eye test. Just something about his throws. I just don't leave after watching one of his games with the impression that it is just a matter of time for him. I can see that he has all the physical tools, but something is missing. I don't want a guy that will just manage a game, and he's a better QB than that. For my money, late in a big game, needing a TD to win, he's not the guy I want . Not saying that he's not good; I just don't think he can win the big game with his arm. JMO

He had more come from behind wins the last 2 years than any quarterback. He mounted the game winning TD drive with a minute to go against the Rams this year. Yeah he’s a gamer and he’ll just get better.
    Unlike last years MVP he can play from behind. Jackson plays well downhill but gets exposed repeatedly when trailing.

W.C.Fields

@JRR300 said:

@2dueces said:

@keets said:

Allen appears, in my opinion, to be on a positive trajectory. Seems formidable.

a realistic assessment of Josh Allen should disregard the 2018 Buffalo Bills season and start with 2019. not only was it his rookie season and he only played limited time due to injury, but it was only the 2nd year for the HC. looking at things objectively, JA has one full season and a little over half of his second, with an injury interrupted rookie year.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020 3:38AM

When Dak comes back and if the Cowboys sign him their Offense is top
    Shelf. Dak, Coooer, Lamb and Elliot. To start over from that is ridiculous and stupid. They need to go all out on Defense and bring solid players in on that side of the bell and they will be a good team.

that is betting on a boatload of "IF's" to fall right for success. the Cowboys right now are so far beyond pathetic that to be a good Team again, in the next several years, is really a stretch. moving from 10-6 with a 2nd round elimination in the playoffs to 8-8 last year tells me they were already on a downhill slide. what amazes me is that there are about 6-7 Teams that actually have a worse record than Dallas at almost the half-way point of the season.

Dallas doesn't have an offense problem. They could trade Cooper or Gallup. I'd prefer they keep Gallup, but I think he will be dealt for picks. Obviously different, but think about how the Chiefs could score at will but their defense had them in frequent shootouts or games that were too close considering their talents. Now they have turned that around. No, I'm not saying Dallas is KC or that Dak is Mahomes.

@perkdog said:
    When Dak comes back and if the Cowboys sign him their Offense is top
    Shelf. Dak, Coooer, Lamb and Elliot. To start over from that is ridiculous and stupid. They need to go all out on Defense and bring solid players in on that side of the bell and they will be a good team.

@keets said:
    that is betting on a boatload of "IF's" to fall right for success. the Cowboys right now are so far beyond pathetic that to be a good Team again, in the next several years, is really a stretch. moving from 10-6 with a 2nd round elimination in the playoffs to 8-8 last year tells me they were already on a downhill slide. what amazes me is that there are about 6-7 Teams that actually have a worse record than Dallas at almost the half-way point of the season.

Just an observation...can their offense really be that "top shelf" with that offensive line?. Guys are getting older (se Eagles Jason Peters) and keeping people away from Dak is a priority.

@JRR300 said:
    Just an observation...can their offense really be that "top shelf" with that offensive line?. Guys are getting older (se Eagles Jason Peters) and keeping people away from Dak is a priority.

Dak ran for his life and honestly he WAS the offense. I had no opinion of Dak until I saw this team without him

W.C.Fields