Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stacks & Bowers catalogs anyone?

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

We received a USPS alert of an inbound Priority Mail shipment. I had not ordered anything recently so I was intrigued. What showed up was about 10 pounds worth of Stacks catalogs. While gorgeous (and expensive), I was surprised to receive them. Anyone else get these?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you imagine how much it costs to research, write, print and mail those catalogs?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same thing happened to me. A forgotten art, these catalogs. With everything online, it seems like a useless, yet noble gesture.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Well, they were beautiful before I drooled all over them.

@291fifth - I imagine the BP on the 1896-S Morgan in MS69 will cover the cost of a lot of catalogs.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

typically, the only way you get these is to actually order them or consign to a sale. did you do either??

• Options

@keets said:
    typically, the only way you get these is to actually order them or consign to a sale. did you do either??

Nope, neither. I have purchased a couple of mid-level Morgans this year but that is the extent of my activity with S&B

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's a pleasant surprise. Must be great to have all those HQ images to reference. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

"291fifth"....I have a pretty good idea.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm working on one of those catalogs tonight and will be viewing the coins in person on Friday. I don't get to do that much these days, so looking forward to it!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Same thing happened to me. A forgotten art, these catalogs. With everything online, it seems like a useless, yet noble gesture.

I still keep mine. I like to imagine I'll use the print when I have more time in retirement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file