Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Mercenaries Guide to the Rare Coin Market

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

In another thread, someone mentioned that a new collector read “A Mercenaries Guide to the Rare Coin Market” by David Hall.
Have you read it? What is your opinion of the book?
I mean no disrespect to David, but ...
Given so much has changed in the coin market since it was written, is it still worth the time to read?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 2:12PM

I liked it. Super book. My bible back in the day. Still have it in my numismatic library. It impressed on me the importance of buying quality coins.

If I could go back in time say 1973 would want to be dealing coins in Cali at shows up and down west coast. Would keep financial day job and play stock market but thrill of deals and coin market bourse...The coin market had nowhere go but up 72-89. Since then we’ll...

These days still a smash mouth game but different.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iconic cover.

• Options

I am the one in the other thread who mentioned this book. Chapter after chapter summarizes various series, and there is a section near the end of the book that provides 100 suggestions for possible sets to build.
    Here is the "iconic cover":

And here is a sample page for sets that could be considered:

Yes, in the other thread I did state that the book is dated, the prices definitely need to be updated, but at least I think it covers the spectrum of non-modern coins that may be collected in various ways, including the critical section with numerous collection ideas.

** TexasAKHouston **
    Successful BST transactions with: PerryHall, wondercoin, gowithmygut, RonB, oreville
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a cool cover! Though probably would not go over well in today's environment.
    Will eventually pick up a copy to see what is inside

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see that cover I see the lighting arrangements used in the studio, especially reflected in the sunglasses.

• Options

The suggestions of possible collecting themes are interesting but duplicitous.

4 1941 proof set

5 1942 proof set

7 1940 proof set.

9 1939 proof set

10 1938 proof set

But, David, I was born in 1961, is that set not possible??? (Maybe it is on another page or I guess I can’t build it.)

I would hope most of his readers could think of numbers 5 - 10 themselves after reading #4.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

These are just ideas... imho, a new collector could get ideas then go to a coin show or view coins online and possibly find an interest in something. I admit, as I posted in a separate thread, I did do a circulated peace dollar set when I was a beginner but this book opens thoughts to many series at a graded/uncirculated level. A new collector can decide what direction he or she wants to go, but I am only saying this book contains many ideas to chew on before going forward.

Sorry for my photography if the sunglasses on Van Simmons were a bit off from a good picture... there are 100 collection ideas and many chapters that give some insights into the different coins. I'm sorry, but I just like this book and think it provides food for thought.

** TexasAKHouston **
    Successful BST transactions with: PerryHall, wondercoin, gowithmygut, RonB, oreville
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof that guns are ok in coin forum threads!

• Options

I think I would like the book too.
    I wasn’t trying to be snarky but isn’t one listing enough? For example:
    Proof set from any year, especially one significant to history or you personally.

• Options

Yes the guns are a nice touch, lol... contrary to the misconception, an AR-15 does not stand "assault rifle". The Armalite Rifle company innovated the gun and they dubbed it their model 15 rifle... hence the common name AR-15. Armalite Rifle was a small company that was bought out by Colt firearms after the innovation. But also remember the book came from the mid 1980s, before there was much if any controversy... but the book is solely about coins and even today you could gain some insight from it. I also read some QDB books equally old and took insights from those books too.

** TexasAKHouston **

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file