Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Haunted by the one that got away? Share your woes.

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2020 10:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A huge hoard of the iconic ancient Athens tetradrachm pieces came onto the market in the last few years, with some stellar examples.

I've always admired these first real global trade coins which set the stage for the ducats, thalers, and reales that came after. An absolute necessity for my box of 20, eventually.

Casually flipping through a big Heritage auction not quite 2 years ago I found one that really, really spoke to me. Like really.
I bid strong relative to what other pieces went for. But someone bid just a little stronger and she left with him. :(
I think about her from time to time. And revisit the happier times when I was the high bidder and I thought she might be my forever tetradrachm.

Do you have a "haunter" that got away?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had one get away. I only have regrets for coins I sold that I didn't really need to and wish I still had them now. Mainly my gold coins I sold back around 2006 to help pay off my car and fund another hobby that took me away from coins for a decade or so. Had some nice stuff like a CAM proof barber and lib nickel, MS64 flying eagle, lots of stuff that probably would have CACd or simply be worth more had I kept them.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 9:36AM

@Weiss said:
    I think about her from time to time. And revisit the happier times when I was the high bidder and I though she might be my forever

Nicely worded!

That's a beautiful coin and great photos. It's like jumping out of my screen at me.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

a 3 second manual snipe that I had been waiting on for a couple weeks. As I hit the bid and waited, the screen pops up 'this lot has recently closed'. :(

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I certainly understand that one haunting you. That coin is insane! :o

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

beautiful coin

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the light traces of ancient dirt on that tetradrachm. Very beautiful. The ones that always get away for me are really interesting pieces of exonumia that I don’t know how to value properly and end up losing as the underbidder, but after the fact realize that I was willing to go a good bit higher than my max bid.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 12:23PM

Last December. GSA 1885 cc still in the old box with labels sealed etc. sniper bid I lost by .17 cents. It haunts me.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    I love the light traces of ancient dirt on that tetradrachm. Very beautiful. The ones that always get away for me are really interesting pieces of exonumia that I don’t know how to value properly and end up losing as the underbidder, but after the fact realize that I was willing to go a good bit higher than my max bid.

This. Slight traces of dirt, a faint pink/peach tone, and she doesn't have that dipped look so many of these pieces seem to have. And not only is she just gorgeous, just check out the height difference between her cheekbone and the corner of her nose. That elevation change happens within millimeters but still looks perfect. The relief itself is beautiful, but the use of that relief as part of the art is astounding. I even think the flan cracks add to her beauty.

And even though she's about 2500 years old, the guys ATS still thought she warranted an AU, with a ⋆, 5/5 strike, 5/5 surface, AND Fine Style designation.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 7:29AM

I was bidding in an online auction (not eBay) - low pop world Slabbed MS64 silver coin worth at least $100. In last few minutes it was at $25 I bid w about 4 min to go bid it up to $32 so sure gonna win it price it in store at $135. Then some other person bid it up (around 2-3 min go) to after bid war w him to $75 (before juice) and at that point quit. Unbelievable that one $&?! Guy came along messed it up I was cursing him like crazy thought had it in bag. Next time will for sure stick to last min or 30 seconds or just do ebay / AS. Reminded me of my old Teletrade Days trying beat them from pay phone at coin club meeting in last minute for nice coins.

I have cherry picked other world items doing very well. They usually at last when a lot of them have run out of money or USA collectors clueless on that material.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently, there was this 1866 2C that I was bidding on, but the bid exceeded my "slush fund", it was nice but not that nice. the owner is wanting way too much for an offer. I think that they are going to be buried in it for quite some time.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file