Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1997 Chrome Basketball Break/Moisture?

Cracked this box open last night, found a couple nice cards but this morning I notice a little moisture in the card sleeve, and ideas what’s causing it?
Also, best way to clean these cards for grading? Microfiber cloths ok for chrome?
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Could be humidity combined with air conditioning making the card temps less than room temp, hence slight condensation. Not sure about how to clean, but do know these scratch easy, so nothing abrasive

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 6:13AM

you should also be using the heavier gauge premium sleeves on anything pre-18/19. especially if you live in the south.

the thinner ones cling too easily and will leave a wet camo look/residue if left like that. get them out of there immediately.

these:

l

definitely not these:

• NorcalNorcal Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Blurryface! You always have great advice.
    When I transfer to premium sleeves, is it ok to wipe with microfiber cloth to clean them up? I was planning on sending them in for grading.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newton rings. Also common inside of CGC comic cases. Creates a moisture/oil spill appearance.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 2:35AM

@Norcal said:
    Thanks for the info Blurryface! You always have great advice.
    When I transfer to premium sleeves, is it ok to wipe with microfiber cloth to clean them up? I was planning on sending them in for grading.

best thing to do is remove them, then let them sit out BEFORE you wipe. if you wipe immediately, all that will happen is you smearing that build up and cause more work/wiping and potentially causing irreversible damage.

best thing to do is take them out and set near a low level heat source to suck up the moisture that's accumulated. a desk lamp shining down on them overnight usually does the trick. then wipe.

eta: as always, start w the lowest valued card first, working your way up to the jordans.

• NorcalNorcal Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Great advice, thanks again Blurryface.

• shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Yes be careful. I recently had a penny sleeve get stuck to this 09 Lebron chrome refractor that was in the heat in the mailbox for a while and some of the card peeled away! (See the paint)