Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What was George wearing? Post your unusual baseball card outfits here.

Not sure what year the Astros went to their rainbow uniforms, but either George was jealous of the uniforms, or he was the inspiration for them. Or maybe he was on his way back from hitting the links when the Hostess photographer arrived:

Comments

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cue the Doug Drabek furry hat in 3....2....

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

1956 Reds Uniforms. Klu showing off his guns! Reds wore them last year in a throwback game.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989

@nam812 said:
    Cue the Doug Drabek furry hat in 3....2....

Here you go.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Few 92 Bowman ones already.. there are a bunch.. Mariano above being the worst offender.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly never saw the furry hat card. Also, looking at the Jay Johnstone card . . . apparently card manufacturers determined that cigarette advertising (i.e. Randy Johnson Marlboro) was not acceptable for our youth, but beer advertising was just fine.

And that's the story of why there are so many modern PSA 5's in existence. :D

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 5:20PM

On a side note, upon Johnstone's recent passing, there was an article I read that included a few sentences about his offbeat personality and propensity for wearing the umbrella hat even in his earlier Phillies days, and other teams throughout his career, along with several different vintage AP photos of him wearing generic colored ones long before his time with the Cubs. I believe maybe it was something he "invented" or patented or had a hand in promoting for a friend???

Apparently, the Cubs were looking for a fun stadium giveaway, and that was one of the items they came up with. I'm sure Jay was just having fun promoting his own themed giveaway that day when the pic was taken, and Fleer went with it for the 84 set, beer advert not withstanding.

Even while growing up in Missouri a Royals fan, some of the touchstones of my youth were day baseball on WGN, Harry Caray, and the ubiquitous Budweiser advertising throughout the games.

Edited to add that apparently, Lou Brock was the original spokesman for the umbrella hat in the 70's. It was advertised as a Brockabrella.

https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/stories/card-corner/portrait-jay-johnstone

edited October 23, 2020 5:38PM

@NGS428 said:
    Few 92 Bowman ones already.. there are a bunch.. Mariano above being the worst offender.

Joe Perona begs to differ

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    I honestly never saw the furry hat card. Also, looking at the Jay Johnstone card . . . apparently card manufacturers determined that cigarette advertising (i.e. Randy Johnson Marlboro) was not acceptable for our youth, but beer advertising was just fine.

And that's the story of why there are so many modern PSA 5's in existence. :D

But that hasn't changed today. Remember when they took down all the tobacco billboards? And when was the last time you saw a cigarette ad on TV, but you see beer ads all the time.