Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

FS - #1 PSA Registry Set - 1985 Donruss Baseball Basic/Master - 100% all PSA 9/10

This set has been a blast to work on but unfortunately it's time for a new home. Includes nearly 600 PSA 10's. I put together the first all-PSA 9/10 1984 Donruss set many years ago and in hindsight that was a cakewalk compared to these 85's. Regardless, the set is within striking distance of an all-PSA 10, and I'm sure in the right hands that can happen.

The set was also discussed in the October, 2015 SMR:
https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/8694/psa-set-registry-collecting-1985-donruss-baseball-card-1980s-men-black

I have listed it in the Goldin October Legends auction found here:
https://goldinauctions.com/1985_Donruss_Complete_Master_Set__665_____1_on_the-LOT66729.aspx

My hope is the winner will carry it forward to the all-PSA 10 plateau. I have opened the set up for viewing in the registry (sorry, no scans)

thx, Bill

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Ok. I bid

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

very impressive. Was it harder to find the 85's in PSA 10 because of the borders? I thought the print numbers on the 84 year were lower.

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

The black borders AND quality control make 10's harder. There were QC issues with the 85's that were not part of the 84 offering. I'm assuming 85's were produced in larger quantities than the 84's, but have no firm knowledge of that.

• Options

@BugOnTheRug said:
    The black borders AND quality control make 10's harder. There were QC issues with the 85's that were not part of the 84 offering. I'm assuming 85's were produced in larger quantities than the 84's, but have no firm knowledge of that.

everything I've been able to find states the the 84 set was the lowest produced set of the 80's, less than had been printed the first three years. All of those early Donruss years are plagued by QC issues. I've been trying to build a PSA 10 set for 84 and it's extremely difficult, as you just can't find raw cards that would deserve the 10 grade.

• Options

Couple of points to ponder with regard to 10's in either 84D or 85D....
    Yes, the first few Donruss years were quality-control nightmares. You are correct in finding raw cards now.... now 35 years after they were first released, obvious good raw gets more scarce. Also too, grading itself has ebbs and flows, spanning years at a time.

• Options
    JustinCJustinC Posts: 53 ✭✭

what are those boxes called and how many PSA cards does each hold? I have an All-PSA 10 1983 topps baseball set and they're all just chilling in a huge drawer - would consider those boxes as they look really nice.

• Options

@JustinC said:
    what are those boxes called and how many PSA cards does each hold? I have an All-PSA 10 1983 topps baseball set and they're all just chilling in a huge drawer - would consider those boxes as they look really nice.

I have seen those before. I don't know much of the details about them, but I believe they are called "pelican cases". I believe there are several Different sizes as well.

• Options

nope, not pelican cases...

I was hoping to find MJ Roop storage cases back in 2010, but at some point before that date they went out of business, so I bought these black cases from aboxfactory. Of note, they were the company that built the boxes for Roop, so quality was certainly there. I'm not sure aboxfactory is currently still in business however. You'll have to do some internet searching to see.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JustinC said:

Any pics of the 83 topps set? I'd enjoy seeing some or all of it. Is it a PSA registry set?

• Options

@BugOnTheRug said:
    nope, not pelican cases...

I was hoping to find MJ Roop storage cases back in 2010, but at some point before that date they went out of business, so I bought these black cases from aboxfactory. Of note, they were the company that built the boxes for Roop, so quality was certainly there. I'm not sure aboxfactory is currently still in business however. You'll have to do some internet searching to see.

good stuff, I'll take a look - thanks for the info!

• Options

@Tibor said:

@JustinC said:

Any pics of the 83 topps set? I'd enjoy seeing some or all of it. Is it a PSA registry set?

my plan is eventually to scan each of the cards, I just haven't gotten it together to do so. they're all currently housed in a very heavy drawer lol. the registry (no pics tho) is at: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/280641

• Options

what did this sell for? when I click on the link it shows the auction but no final amount.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

JustinC, pAn all PSA 10 83T set is incredible. Congrats.

How many did you purchase vs self sub vs trade with others?

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Cool thread. My 3 fave sets of all time are 83T, 87F and 85D

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    JustinCJustinC Posts: 53 ✭✭

thanks! nearly all of them were bought already graded (from ebay, 4sc, other registry owners, broken sets, various forums, Facebook groups, etc.). I got into the PSA submission game too late in the process, really. by the time I made my first submission it was taking 8 months to get em back and my level of patience is very poor. plus, my understanding is the bulk rate used to be a reasonable $5 per card or so, now it's $9-10 per.

I love the 85D set too! I've started working on an 81T PSA 10 set (which is impossible because there are a ton of pop 0s and pop 1s), but I'm doing it anyway. another set I really dig is 85F.

@NJ80sBBC said:
    JustinC, pAn all PSA 10 83T set is incredible. Congrats.

How many did you purchase vs self sub vs trade with others?

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

85 Fleer tough for centering..