Home Sports Talk
Options

*******CONTEST TIME, NFL WEEK 7

JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

New contest for this week; same rules as last week listed below. A big thanks for 2dueces for putting up this weeks prize.
the rules are simple:

pick every NFL game (straight up, no spreads) and have them in my inbox prior to 11;45 eastern this coming Sunday. we will not count the Thursday night tilt this week. if you are one minute late, your entry finds its way into the dumpster. if you have posted even a single time anywhere on this forum in 2020, you're eligible. if you haven't said jack all year long and decide to use my contest to make a grand entrance, you'll also find your way into the dumpster with all of the late entries and Bill O'Brien and Dan Quinn and Thomas Dimitroff and Adam Gase in a week or two and hopefully Matt Nagy if he experiences brain fog one more time at the end of a game.

the sharp cookie with the most correct picks to receive a life-altering, earth-shattering sum via PayPal........................$25.

what if two or more entries tie, you ask? the breaker will be the total points scored for the Monday night game. in other words, send me your selection for all games, AS WELL AS your prediction for total points scored between Chicago-LA Rams. closest to the actual figure wins. if two or more peeps tie with the game picks, then really annoy me and tie again with the points total, i'm just gonna keep my money or something. but i don't anticipate that happening.

if corona decides to get involved, any game postponed beyond week 7 will be removed from the contest. we're not gonna wait weeks to crown a winner. but if a game is moved to, say, Tuesday of next week, then it'll count.

soon after noon, I will post everyone's picks on this thread. then after the Sunday night game i will update the standings as we head down the stretch into Monday night's games. Let's see if we can top last weeks win total of 10.

good luck!

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

My picks are in. A big thank you @JRR300 and @2dueces and @galaxy27 for everything you guys are doing, this is fun!

• Options

Yes, I realize I have no chance of winning. 😂😂😂😂

• Options

One entrant received. Way back, when I was in school, the kid who finished the exam first usually knew all the answers. time will tell. Good luck!

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    One entrant received. Way back, when I was in school, the kid who finished the exam first usually knew all the answers. time will tell. Good luck!

I like the sound of that! 🖒

• Options

Steve K joins the party. Two in so far.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

SteveK has joined the fray!!
    Game on!

I'll wait until a little later in the week, who knows about injuries in practice or God forbid
    positive covid tests. Anything can happen in the next 4 days.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in, I just got to spread out the Boston a Herald and study lol. Old timers will remember “Spreading our the newspaper” lol.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

And thank you guys for the contest

• Options

Perkdog had entered. that's three so far, with a few others to follow soon.
    Just remember, we are not counting the Thurs game.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m in, I just got to spread out the Boston a Herald and study lol. Old timers will remember “Spreading our the newspaper” lol.

Well, now that Paul has decided to use the well known and scientifically proven method of "newspaper spreading", we are all doomed. I have it on solid information, and well placed spy cams, that the Perkster used his "ace in the hole" assistants to provide rock solid pics...my sources were able to obtain this photo while the "team" was taking one of many corona breaks.

However, I have sent in my pics to JRR300, although I expect I have just gone through the motions.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

Maybe offer a second place prize so the others have a chance to win something.

B)

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Well, now that Paul has decided to use the well known and scientifically proven method of "newspaper spreading", we are all doomed. I have it on solid information, and well placed spy cams, that the Perkster used his "ace in the hole" assistants to provide rock solid pics...my sources were able to obtain this photo while the "team" was taking one of many corona breaks.

However, I have sent in my pics to JRR300, although I expect I have just gone through the motions.

I'd certainly like to take one of those Corona breaks!

• Options

Topps is almost in, missing one game. He will make 3 so far.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Alright, I'm gonna be in this week. I saw last week's contest too late. Im not kidding :D when I say that my first thought was "if only I had the paper". But it's Wednesday, I got time. Spreading out the paper, for whatever reason, is actually something I miss. I might just have to get back to it......

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 6:13PM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Alright, I'm gonna be in this week. I saw last week's contest too late. Im not kidding :D when I say that my first thought was "if only I had the paper". But it's Wednesday, I got time. Spreading out the paper, for whatever reason, is actually something I miss. I might just have to get back to it......

Edit to add: @perkdog I miss the Herald. And since I was a South Shore guy, I miss the Ledger too.

2nd edit to add: I didn't mean to quote my own post, just edit it.... I hope that clears up any confusion.... 😎

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Topps is almost in, missing one game. He will make 3 so far.

Message sent, tks.

• Options

Topps picks are in.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Swami’s picks are in.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

2 dueces are in; that makes 4. We still have some time, so lets get the picks in.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Round 2 Picks are in. Thanks for the contest.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

Hey everyone. It’s free to enter. Flip a coin. Put names in a hat. Ask you neighbor. Call Terry Bradshaw. Win the Swami’s money. We need your picks!! Can’t win if you don’t play.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Zip is in, so that makes 5. Darin sent in his picks but did not send the Mon nite total. His entry will make 6 and mine will be 7.
    Like Dueces said, C'mon guys it's free entry! Get those picks in. You can't win if you don't play!!!!!

• Options

have to eave for a while, but send those picks in...I'll get to them tonight.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Zip is in, so that makes 5. Darin sent in his picks but did not send the Mon nite total. His entry will make 6 and mine will be 7.
    Like Dueces said, C'mon guys it's free entry! Get those picks in. You can't win if you don't play!!!!!

Sorry forgot about that. Have sent another message with the Monday night total points.

• Options

@zippcity said:

Rule 16, para 4(c) of the official "picks rules" states...no participant in a previous pick adventure, having won a previous "pick", cannot win two in a row.
    You may as well watch reruns of Gunsmoke Sunday. B)

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 11:38AM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@zippcity said:

Rule 16, para 4(c) of the official "picks rules" states...no participant in a previous pick adventure, having won a previous "pick", cannot win two in a row.
    You may as well watch reruns of Gunsmoke Sunday. B)

Rule 93 para 9
    No participate can win 2 weeks in a row if original contest creator runs said second week and overrides Rule 16, para 4(c)

@zippcity So turn off Gunsmoke and chew your nails Sunday.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

B)B)

GL

• Options

I've been cruising on Ebay all day today looking for a nice PSA graded football card that sells for $25.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Hey everyone. It’s free to enter. Flip a coin. Put names in a hat. Ask you neighbor. Call Terry Bradshaw. Win the Swami’s money. We need your picks!! Can’t win if you don’t play.

I completed each pick in less than five seconds.

I used the age old sports handicapping rule of the longer the time spent analyzing a game, the greater the chances become of picking the loser.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I've been cruising on Ebay all day today looking for a nice PSA graded football card that sells for $25.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Contenders-Draft-Picks-Game-Day-Tickets-4-Mitch-Trubisky-PSA-9-Mint-RC/123619991639?hash=item1cc8536057:g:5EAAAOSws2dcUTk2

• Options

My picks are sent.

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

I used the age old sports handicapping rule of the longer the time spent analyzing a game, the greater the chances become of picking the loser.

Look for Josh Allen cards. I’ll send you my address Tuesday.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

OK, 8 entrants now; mine will make 9. Plenty of time to get your in.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Contenders-Draft-Picks-Game-Day-Tickets-4-Mitch-Trubisky-PSA-9-Mint-RC/123619991639?hash=item1cc8536057:g:5EAAAOSws2dcUTk2

With a cent to spare.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Look for Josh Allen cards. I’ll send you my address Tuesday.

I dunno, on second thought i may invest the $25 in a savings bond...use towards my retirement one day.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

With a cent to spare.

which, ironically, is the intrinsic value of that card

• Options

Still plenty of time to enter.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

the clock is winding down; no timeouts left! Step up and get those picks in!!!!!!

• Options

Current Las Vegas betting odds on winning the contest, with expert commentary

Past performances - Odds subject to scratches and additional entries:

Galaxy27: 8-5 knowledgeable handicapper
    2dueces: 2-1 game performance last week
    Perkdog: 3-1 beaten favorite last week, could rebound
    LarkinCollector: 5-1 knowledgeable card collector
    Zippcity: 5-1 winner in previous contest
    JRR300: 7-1 decent performance last week
    Thisistheshow: 10-1 may surprise
    Dennis07: 10-1 even performance last week
    MCMLVTopps: 20-1 game performance as long shot
    Doubledragon: 25-1 nothing last week
    Brick: 25-1 nothing last week
    Darin: 1,000-1 long shot
    Stevek: 250,000-1 rank outsider

• Options

Will the chalk favorite be a scratch? No entry for Galaxy yet! THE CLOCK IS WINDING DOWN.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2020 10:12AM

OK gents, entries are locked. We have 10 players.

Sorry, but the columns didn't quite line up when I copied them from my worksheet. Look below, next post
    Good luck to all!!!!!!

• Options

Let me try this one more time.

DRAGON Saints Bills Bengals Cowboys Packers Falcons Steelers Seahawks Chiefs Chargers 49ers Bucs Bears 51

Steve K Saints Bills Bengals WFT Texans Lions Titans Cardinals Chiefs Chargers Pats Raiders Rams 40

Topps Pant Bills Bengals WFT Packers Lions Steelers Cardinals Chiefs Jaguars Pats Bucs Rams 45

2Dueces Saints Bills Browns WFT Packers Falcons Steelers Seahawks Chiefs Chargers 49ers Bucs Rams 47

Zip Saints Bills Browns WFT Packers Falcons Titans Seahawks Chiefs Chargers Pats Raiders Rams 41

Darin Saints Bills Browns Cowboys Texans Falcons Steelers Cardinals Chiefs Chargers 49ers Bucs Rams 43

Dennis Saints Bills Bengals Cowboys Packers Falcons Titans Seahawks Chiefs Chargers Pats Bucs Rams 35

Theshow Saints Bills Browns Cowboys Packers Falcons Titans Seahawks Chiefs Chargers Pats Bucs Bears 57

JRR300 Saints Bills Browns Cowboys Texans Falcons Steelers Seahawks Chiefs Chargers 49ers Bucs Rams 44

Perkdog Saints Bills Browns WFT Packers Lions Titans Seahawks Chiefs Chargers 49ers Bucs Bears 47

Sorry, didn't anticipate the spacing issue. This should be easier to follow

• Options

I'm surprised that the Steelers are dominating the Titans. Also, shouldn't be surprised but I am that the Football Team is trouncing the Cowboys.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Current Las Vegas betting odds on winning the contest, with expert commentary

Past performances - Odds subject to scratches and additional entries:

Galaxy27: 8-5 knowledgeable handicapper
    2dueces: 2-1 game performance last week
    Perkdog: 3-1 beaten favorite last week, could rebound
    LarkinCollector: 5-1 knowledgeable card collector
    Zippcity: 5-1 winner in previous contest
    JRR300: 7-1 decent performance last week
    Thisistheshow: 10-1 may surprise
    Dennis07: 10-1 even performance last week
    MCMLVTopps: 20-1 game performance as long shot
    Doubledragon: 25-1 nothing last week
    Brick: 25-1 nothing last week
    Darin: 1,000-1 long shot
    Stevek: 250,000-1 rank outsider

I see I've gained some respect. My odds have improved from last week's 25,000-1. About time!

• Options
    edited October 25, 2020 12:39PM

@stevek said:

Perfect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TOPPS-284-TONY-ROMO-COWBOYS-POP-5-PSA-10-F2980672-426/383771980482?hash=item595a97b2c2:g:OewAAOSwemRfjeow&LH_BIN=1

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Perfect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TOPPS-284-TONY-ROMO-COWBOYS-POP-5-PSA-10-F2980672-426/383771980482?hash=item595a97b2c2:g:OewAAOSwemRfjeow&LH_BIN=1

Can't do it. The $4 shipping puts it over budget.

• Options

Perkdog and Twodueces looking good after the early games with only one loss.

• Options

@perkdog You took the 49ers? OMG!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Was trying to hold out tonight but have to work early AM.
    As of right now, Perk and 2deuces are the frontrunners and each one has a different team in the MNF game. Darin is still mathematically alive as he has the Cardinals tonight. Will update in the morning.

• Options

Hello all. It looks like there are 3 people with 10 wins, a solid effort.
    Perk has the Bears tonight. If they win, he wins.
    Both Darin and 2Deuces have the Rams tonight, so if the Rams win, total points will decide. Darin has 43 and 2Dueces has 47 points. If the game falls on 45 points, we have a tie. Does the house win on ties? Just joking.
    The also rans:
    8 wins Double Dragon, Topps and JRR
    7 wins Steve K, Zip and Theshow
    6 wins Dennis

Good luck to tonight's participants!