Home Sports Talk

The Big Hurt - a giant amongst men!

RoflesRofles Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching the pre game, and, well..

He looks MASSIVE next to the others! Bet his game hasn’t missed a step either!

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's a big guy for sure.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

he is a giant.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

it is amazing how small ortiz has gotten since retirement.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I think he lost a lot of it when he got shot.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt he is still the "Big Hurt". But there is a bit of depth perception deception. The 2 figures in the middle are set back farther. If they were lined up equally with the far left/far right figures the size difference would not be as great.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    No doubt he is still the "Big Hurt". But there is a bit of depth perception deception. The 2 figures in the middle are set back farther. If they were lined up equally with the far left/far right figures the size difference would not be as great.

Shhhh, this is Sports Talk, not rationality. Some people :(

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw him back in 1992 at Lord and Taylor in Chicago. They shut the entire men’s department down for him and this gorgeous young lady. I was working there and saw him from about 20 feet away. The guy was GINORMOUS

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's because he packed on all that weight to perform, to give him more power at the plate. since he never played in the field at the end of his career he didn't need to be very agile. it reminds me of a time when I attended a Cleveland Browns mini-camp held at a local High School, it was 1-2 years after Doug Dieken had retired and he looked remarkably fit, similar to how Big Papi looks now. Deek had lost everything around the middle that he needed as an Offensive Lineman.

both men were pretty bad at their respective playing weights, they must be even badder slim and trim. B)

@Rofles said:

@craig44 said:

I think he lost a lot of it when he got shot.

that is a good point. I think you are probably right

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭

I saw him in Philly at the AllStar game workout back in the 90's. I remember there were 3 guys standing together, Magwire, Thomas and Mo Vaughn. Poor Mo looked like a midget next to those two giants. If you didn't know better, you would think they were lineman from a football team.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

that's because he packed on all that weight to perform, to give him more power at the plate. since he never played in the field at the end of his career he didn't need to be very agile. it reminds me of a time when I attended a Cleveland Browns mini-camp held at a local High School, it was 1-2 years after Doug Dieken had retired and he looked remarkably fit, similar to how Big Papi looks now. Deek had lost everything around the middle that he needed as an Offensive Lineman.

Lots of guys go through a similar transformation if they were NFL linemen. Here's Joe Thomas, also of Cleveland, for example:

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭

it looks like he lost a person in there!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Joe Thomas prior to his rookie season and he looked more like the guy on the right. that means he really bulked up out of college.