edited October 25, 2020 11:29AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Bright white. Weird green gasket. $45 shipped

$40 SOLD

$40 SOLD

$35 shipped

Comments

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s just sun damage/age. Very common.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I> @SurfinxHI said:

I think it could have been irradiated. Remember years ago the USPS irradiated all the mail when some idiot put anthrax or some such in the mail. It turned some PCGS gaskets green, even melted some slabs.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

actually the coin looks pretty clean overall. Nice

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPGS said:
    I> @SurfinxHI said:

I think it could have been irradiated. Remember years ago the USPS irradiated all the mail when some idiot put anthrax or some such in the mail. It turned some PCGS gaskets green, even melted some slabs.

Never heard that one.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 5:53PM
  • Options

@ms70 said:

@TPGS said:
    I> @SurfinxHI said:

Never heard that one.

I'm sure someone e> @ms70 said:

@TPGS said:
    I> @SurfinxHI said:

Never heard that one.

It was 19 years ago...

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gasket and label for some of these older holders are known to change colors. Irradiation would be an interesting cause but was not the case with these.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a coin shop where the dealer has some inexpensive coins and slabs displayed in his window facing the sidewalk. All the gaskets in the PCGS slabs had turned yellow from sitting in the sun light. This was several years ago and PCGS may have corrected this defect in their slab gaskets.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 6:06AM

Link to old PCGS US coin forum thread about irradiated NGC holder, coin and holder.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/767438/how-does-pcgs-view-the-toning-induced-by-the-ngc-fatties

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 6:09AM

Quote from above link.

"It's too bad my 1873 25c in PR62 NGC isn't in a fattie. That coin was in route to me when 911 and the Brentwood anthrax attack occurred. All mail coming to ground zero (DC government office building zip codes) was rerouted to an undisclosed location in Ohio, I believe. Everything that could fit into the device was sent through an irradiation beam, including my coin. When I bought it, it was stark white, maybe slightly golden in tone, but not the lovely (and uniform) aquamarine that it has turned to. The holder plastic has yellowed and the label is a tad discolored, too. Worst case scenario is that it is now a true piece of history.

I prefer PCGS slabs for their best design that detracts the least from the coin inside. I wonder if I should try to cross this puppy. "

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 6:08AM

Irradiation Decontamination of Postal Mailand High-Risk Luggage document link.

https://www.nist.gov/system/files/documents/2017/05/09/mfdpub80.pdf

Does NOT prove it happened to my coin. Does prove it did happen and did damage a NGC holder.

• Options

ttt