Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Graded Pack Holders

It had been a while since I had gotten any packs graded, so i wasn't aware of the new holder. I like the new older fine, but it seems that the area that the pack gets placed into is too small and that the encapsulator folks must have to "smoosh" the pack to get it into the space...I have wrinkles on the front of some of my graded packs that weren't there when the packs were submitted, and some of the corners are also now "bunched" up due to the packs, I would guess, having to be given some pressure to get them into the tight space. Anyone else gotten any packs back in the newer holders and experienced any issues? I am thinking the space is going to have to be made a tad bit larger so that the packs can be laid into the area and not "smooshed" in so they fit..

I prefer the newer holder, but the inside where the pack actually goes was much better on the older holders, IMO. I could be wrong and the innards where the pack sits could be the exact same size on the newer holders as the older olders, but I just went and looked at some of my older holders and there just seems to be a tad more space for the pack to reside in (it didn't have to be squished in to the space I don't think).

Comments

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

And I have now made it through all of the packs I got back, and in addition to wrinkles on the front that didn't use to be there, and corners bunched up due to having to be squished into the holder (I presume), over half of the flaps on the backs of the packs are half-opened, and no chance in heck I submitted any pack like that. I just went and looked at the 15 or so packs from the same box, that didn't make the cut, and all of them have the flap sealed with none of the flaps loosened whatsoever on the back. Man, to say this is highly disappointing would be putting it mildly. We have to live with grades that we may not agree with, but to get your items returned to you in a condition that doesn't resemble how it was submitted -- well, disheartening, irritating, etc...one of the packs has so much space on one of the corners where the flap has now been raised, that it looks like there are fewer cards, and the pack doesn't even come to the top of the space it is supposed to fill, while the other packs do...guessing my pack submission days are done...man, what a downer

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

Can you provide pictures?

• Options

this first one now has wrinkles in the upper left quadrant, as well as what appears to be a minor tear in the very upper left corner:

• Options

This next one now has a smushed corner in the lower left of the image (I am surmising from the pack being "pushed" into the area that holds the pack), and no, I wouldn't have submitted it like that..in addition, notice how it caused further larger waves thru the words DEXTROSE, CHEWING, etc:

• Options

This one shows a pushed in corner on the lower left of the image, and you can see how the wrapper now drops off from midway thru the words ARTIFICIAL and PRINTED, all the way to the corner (again, had to have been from the pack being "pushed" into the area that holds the pack...

• Options
    edited October 25, 2020 6:42PM

this one has crazy waves on the back, as you can see just below the orange flap...as stated before, something appears to need to be done with these new holders...just think if these were packs of 1975 Topps baseball, or 1969 Topps baseball, what have you...and they got damaged when being "pushed" into the holder...the submitters would be beside themselves..

• Options
    edited October 25, 2020 6:40PM

two more I guess.....you can see when looking down the left side of the pack how much the wrapper has been pushed in...and on top of that, how much the flaps are now raised...I wouldn't give a pack like this even a second look when determining which packs to submit...and look at the smushed corner on the 2nd image...looks horrible now

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing and sorry that you are dealing with the end results. Just wondering, are Star Wars pack wrappers more voluminous vs standard sports cards packs?

Would be great to see similar images of these types of packs in old vs new holder.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Thanks for sharing and sorry that you are dealing with the end results. Just wondering, are Star Wars pack wrappers more voluminous vs standard sports cards packs?

Would be great to see similar images of these types of packs in old vs new holder.

John

just the opposite...Star Wars packs have about half the number of cards as most sports card packs from that era...i will take some photos of some of the Star Wars packs which didn't make the submission cut...and you will see just how the backs should look...and again, these didn't make the cut