Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grades In! Toner Tuesday! & a Successful Conservation.

So I just got some grades on for my most recent sub and wanted to share one of them with you. The others are all Clad Irish Shillings and not nearly as exciting to share.

So this coin was purchased off an elderly gentleman living in the UK. I'd say it was clear from the box he sent it in that he was the one who originally purchased it from the mint as it came with the original mint packaging.

If anyone here knows much about these 10 shilling proofs they often come nicely toned as a side effect of the storage. However the reverse is often cloudy and unattractive. I've seen ones with both sides nicely toned but I would assume it's because the owner flipped them over at some point. Anyway I decided I would try and reduce some of the cloudyness on the reverse before submitting.

Here you can see my progress. I was very careful and I think I did a decent job. PCGS seemed to agree.

Graded PR66CAM! Very happy with the result and happy to see that it was given the CAM designation. They did shoot these images axial it would seem which shows the color much better. If you'd like an idea of what the cameo shots look like a good friend of mine photographed it before submitting.

I have shared this here before. You can see the reverse in it's full cam here and he was nice enough to shot it axial as well as straight on so I decided to mix the images that looked nicest. For an idea of what the obverse looks like in CAM here's that image.

Happy with the results and a keeper for sure.

Hope y'all enjoyed,

Cheers!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Is that an Irish commemorative? And excuse my ignorance, but what does it commemorate?

Beautiful colors, incredible difference of the cameo on the reverse between the Trueview image and your friend’s, who I believe captured the color on the obverse just as nicely as in the Trueview.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is Irish and commemorates the Irish uprising Easter week in 1916.

I am not sure what the surviving population looks like in cameo. I do not recall seeing many cameo examples... well done.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.