Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Plethora of 70’s Autographed cards. Expert advice needed.

Maybe a small plethora... Anyway...

I just bought a huge lot of a few thousand cards from the 70’s. Mixed in with the regular cards were a few that are autographed. My favorite is the 4 person signed Vikings card.
Additional cards not in the scans are Bob Watson, Larry Bowa, Bob Veale, Ron Yankowski, & Dan Driessen.
I scanned the back of the Lyle Alzado & Curley Culp cards because they are signed on the backs as well. I’m no autograph expert, but that seems different.
What would be the best thing to do with these? Are they even worth spending the money to grade? The local card show has CAS authentication. They could verify if they are real or not too.
Thank you for any assistance.

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of those don’t look good to me. While it’s not uncommon for a player to sign a card twice, having such a high percentage of sloppy double sigs seems fishy to me. The Bench doesn’t look like examples I’ve seen, either. With that said, if it’s real, the quad Vikings card is kick ass.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mason looks possible, Staubach could too if it weren't for all the extra scribbles obscuring part of the name. I don't like the Bench and don't know enough on the others to comment. I'm normally a fan of dual grading, but if you send any of these in Auth/Auth is what I would target. I don't see any of the cards or autos scoring high enough grades to go for numbers.

• DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Thank you both very much. I agree with both of you. The Mason and the Vikings quad card look great. I included the names of the other lesser known players because that would also seem odd why would someone fake a "common card" signature. Anything is possible. I need to do more research, especially for the Vikings card. If that's real, that seems like it would be quite rare. Using a loupe, It appears all 4 signatures were done at the same time with the same pen.
    Thank you again.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find but I think the Nettles is bad. He is my favorite player and I have many autographed items and that signature is not even close. I could be wrong though.

• MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

The Culp on the back, maybe. The rest are just someone scribbling names on the front.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately these are not signed. These are just some kid practicing how to sign autographs on the cards.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your time and opinions. That's why I asked here.
    Here's a solo scan of the Vikings card. If real, probably the best one. It seems to be the same pen with different script signatures. This one might be worth sending in.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

All look like the same hand to me but I’m no expert. Maybe dad was giving his son a thrill with autographs of his favorite players. Bench is not even close.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

I agree with the above statement that all the cards look like they are signed by the same person...and many with the same pen.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

well let's break it down IF they were real. considering the condition, i don't see any really worth the time and costs of subbing.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I believe they are probably done by a kid. None of them look remotely close to the actual player signatures and they all look like the same person signed them. Not uncommon to find some of those in collections from time to time. I did it myself at one point on a few cards, long before even the thought of someone thinking they could be real, just a kid doing stupid stuff with his worthless baseball cards.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above sentiments...all bad

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odd how the Vikings auto's are all on the same degree of slant.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 2:00PM

@gonzer said:
    Odd how the Vikings auto's are all on the same degree of slant.

smart man. looking at the characteristics of the sigs and not the names themselves.

tried conveying this approach in another auto thread, but consensus was not consistent w my opinion.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if the forger is a rare signer? Like Mike Marshall?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Forgery implies malicious intent to me. I'm willing to bet these are cards that some kid in the 70s did himself, just because he was bored, with no intention to deceive. Sadly, they survived not only time but apparently a change of ownership. With no sentimental value, they should just be destroyed.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.