Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Punch marking on back of Canadian penny

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2020 2:15PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Found this in the gutter while going for a walk . Washed with some water and found the number 11 stamped into the back . Not sure if was intentional or what.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the paper money part of the PCGS message board site but I think that I can give you a little information on your coin.
    The fact that the two "1"s aren't aligned suggests that this is a "1" punch used twice, maybe signifying "11" or maybe just someone testing their "1" punch on a convenient and cheap piece of metal.

I don't think that this served any official or commercial purpose but was used by someone as a label or marker or was just a test of the punch.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Ah. Wasn’t sure which section to put it under but thank you for the information.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterstamp, privately added, for an unknown reason.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

mhm .. it will remain i guess an unknown penny mystery.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any metal disc or coin that's punched may have been a counter or tool return marker. IMO. Numismaticly speaking frowned upon but a niche collecting area none the less. C u around. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall