Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Will this China Emperor always be known as Fat Man to coin collectors?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 17, 2020 3:15PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Yuan Shikai was a Qing dynasty general who became the first formal President of the Republic of China and then Emperor of China.

Coin collectors may know him better as "Fat Man" from his image on his coin.

How did this General, President and Emperor of China become known as "Fat Man" and will it ever change?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuan_Shikai

Comments

• Options
    SFPandaSFPanda Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 5:26PM

He's kinda chubby.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SFPanda said:
    He's kinda chubby.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

But was he a fun guy to be around? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Wikipedia says:

As a young man Yuan Shih Kai enjoyed riding, boxing, and entertainment with friends. He failed the Imperial examinations twice. Yuan Shi Kai married nine concubines throughout the course of his life.

The Empress Dowager and the Guangxu Emperor died within a day of each other in November 1908. Sources indicate that the will of the emperor ordered Yuan's execution. (I bet he regreted being in the Emperor's will that day) He avoided execution.

Yuan formally abandoned the empire on 22 March after being emperor for only 83 days.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020 10:09AM

Many of my Chinese collector friends called this coin type the "Yuan big head".

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a toned one I just ran across: