Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone feel like calibrating me on what errors are worth submitting to PCGS?

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

This is a follow up to a note posted last week.....I have a list now (but no pictures) of a pile of "errors" that might get submitted to PCGS. At $65 per submitted coin, I was going to try to help a friend in culling down the coins to just those worth submitting. A a rule of thumb, seems like anything that value of over ~$200 might make the cut (but that is debatable). I have gone thorough a spreadsheet and made my calls. Anyone feel like doing exercise, making an independent call and calibrating me? If so, send me a PM with your email, and I'll send you a spreadsheet. I will report back to the forum on some of the more interesting ones (but still no pics....this is a sight unseen exercise!).

This is out of my specialty, Trade Dollars, but always appreciate coin geek (I'm one) help. Thanks.

keoj

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to be an expert in both errors and the market for them (both wholesale and retail) to answer this question. It will be important to know if the error really has a true two-way market or if it is just another one-way market. If submissions cost $65 per coin your friend needs to be very sure of the market situation. Since you are not an expert in Trade dollars I would advise you to just tell your friend that you don't have the knowledge required to answer the question. If you give him bad information he may end up not being your friend anymore.

All glory is fleeting.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures are everything with errors when determining value. A 1999 double struck cent could be worth $30 or $3000 depending on how it was done.

In terms of getting market value for your friends errors, slabbing is much less important than high res photography and good lighting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file