Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Roadrunner Rainbow

SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 4, 2020 1:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I had fun following the action online (using just my phone) at last week’s Legend Regency auction with their live audio feature. It was a hoot to simply ‘swipe left’ to bid here and there — and a split second later hear the auctioneer assistant acknowledge my swipe and say, “Bid.” — I was greatly impressed with the interface. I mean, if your toddler grabbed your phone during the proceedings it really would be THAT easy to accidentally bid, bid, bid, bid... lol

I grabbed this one (on purpose, haha) and it’s a real looker in-hand...but my slab pic doesn’t capture the colors/luster as well as our host did.

20+ years of collecting all sorts of stuff and I still love rainbow Morgan’s. 🤠

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful toning.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Morgan! I wanted to watch the Morelan lots live but I was too terrified of accidentally clicking “bid $400,000”!

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an excellent rainbow toned Morgan. I am big collector of these and can't get enough of them!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidding and winning IS exciting! Been a long time for me where I was outbid by Chris McCawley On a large cent at a FUN auction years ago. Big congrats!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@david3142 said:
    Nice Morgan! I wanted to watch the Morelan lots live but I was too terrified of accidentally clicking “bid $400,000”!

Thanks. I love your mega RR pickup! — feel free to post here if you so desire.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the reverse is practically colorless while the obverse is a rainbow? How does that happen to a coin, stored for years face up?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2020 5:49PM

@Onastone I’m assuming this was a bag toner and all the toning happened before it left government storage.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3<3:)
    Words can't explain.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to come up with a name, like AB does for his - nice looking coin! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Inspired70 , love it. ⭐️

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 9:08AM

Beautiful Roadrunner coins @SeattleSlammer and @Inspired70 !

Is there a place to see all the Roadrunner coins together, like on a Registry Set? I know they are all on Legend Auctions site, but it's not very convenient to enjoy the Roadrunner set that way.

• Options

@Zoins not that I’m aware of ... and I’ve also had difficulty just finding basic info about the set’s owner and history.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 9:44AM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I’ve also had difficulty just finding basic info about the set’s owner and history.

That means the owner is successful in remaining anonymous!

I love to learn more about owners and provenance, but I can understand people that want to remain private too.

Do any of the Roadrunner coins come with previous provenance?

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 10:27AM

@Zoins my guess is a handful of them have passed back and forth between the known monster rainbow Morgan collectors — maybe @AuroraBorealis will chime in here and shed some light if he’s able.

I don’t consider my newp a monster, but a high end toner. The one posted by @Inspired70: monster!

This site has a terrific breakdown of monster Morgan toners by quality level, along with images of some of the better known collections of them...but I didn’t cross reference to see if I could pick out some of the recent RR Morgan’s here and there from the other groupings.

https://www.monstertonedmorgans.com/all-about-toned-morgans

• Options

@SeattleSlammer said:
    @Zoins my guess is a handful of them have passed back and forth between the known monster rainbow Morgan collectors — maybe @AuroraBorealis will chime in here and shed some light if he’s able.

That's what I imagine as well. It would be great to know more about the provenance of these.

• Options

The 1887 is ex-Sunnywood/Simpson and ex-Northern Lights prior to landing in the Roadrunner Collection.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

I don’t consider my newp a monster, but a high end toner. The one posted by @Inspired70: monster!

This site has a terrific breakdown of monster Morgan toners by quality level, along with images of some of the better known collections of them...but I didn’t cross reference to see if I could pick out some of the recent RR Morgan’s here and there from the other groupings.

https://www.monstertonedmorgans.com/all-about-toned-morgans

Really cool piece you posted here, big like from me

This link here is great info, for those interested in this area.

• Options

@Inspired70 ... I’ve been inspired by your last 2 coins ... do you have 68 more by chance? 😆⭐️⭐️

• Options

That is a beautiful 1881-S SeattleSlammer. Love the toning on both sides.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2020 3:49PM
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is a game of toned Morgan oneupsmanship, I’ll stay up all night long for it.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    So the reverse is practically colorless while the obverse is a rainbow? How does that happen to a coin, stored for years face up?

A lot of bag-toned coins (which this is) would have had one side of the coin up against the bag, while the other side was just touching the next coin. That leads to one side getting toned up and the other side seeing little if any color. Sure, sometimes you get a coin that may have been stuck in a fold of the bag so both sides tone, but that's not too common. Similarly, you get crescent toning when part of a side of a coin is up against the bag, but another coin is on top of the remainder of that side, preventing the overlapped area from toning.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looker!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Not OK with this ending on page 2 just yet, so just sharing 2 random recent RR wins again here on THIS great thread - anyone else here pick up any others?

• Options

@Inspired70 said:
    Another cool toner from the collection.

love this one, wow!

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin, David. Congrats.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was ready to buy some of those, but just could not get a reasonable bid in.......They went strong. Nice pieces.> @Inspired70 said:

One of my favorites.

This one is off the chart awesome.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

This is one I was able to win from RR collection.

• Options

What are the most notable toned Morgan collections / hoards?

I can think of:

Are there others?

• Options

@Inspired70 , I also dig the slab shot of that monster — congrats !

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 6:52PM

@Inspired70 - that 85-O was my second favorite toner in the sale. Great coin!

Northern Lights had an outstanding group of toners. @gemtone65 has an exceptional collection as well. @Ezmoney has amazing Morgans and other type coins. Too bad I haven’t seen either of them post on these boards in a while.

• Options

@Zoins said:

I can think of:

Are there others?

Simpson had a nice batch of toned Morgan's sold some years ago if I recall?

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 7:56PM

@marcmoish said:

@Zoins said:

I can think of:

Are there others?

Did Simpson's set have any differences with Sunnywood's? I've mostly seen Simpson's collection noted as "Sunnywood/Simpson". It's nice to note Simpson, especially if he did some set adjustments to Sunnywood's set.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Almost all of the 1896 and 1897 dollars were from a deal of original bags that broke on the midwest. Those toners went directly from the source to the RR collection. Included were the 1897 in 67 and the 1896 in 68.

• Options

Not sure, others might know better details about his set.> @Zoins said:

@marcmoish said:

@Zoins said:

I can think of:

Are there others?

Did Simpson's set have any differences with Sunnywood's? I've mostly seen Simpson's collection noted as "Sunnywood/Simpson". It's nice to note Simpson, especially if he did some set adjustments to Sunnywood's set.

Well I have these two from a few years ago, and they say only Simpson (not Sunnywood) so I assume there were others with only Simpson noted on the holder.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's gorgeous @SeattleSlammer.
    Wait til you see the ones your toddler wins!!

• Options

@cnncoins said:
    Almost all of the 1896 and 1897 dollars were from a deal of original bags that broke on the midwest. Those toners went directly from the source to the RR collection. Included were the 1897 in 67 and the 1896 in 68.

CNN is right. This is the 1897 from RR. Was able to secure this one for the collection. Only significant toned 1897 I have ever seen and also quality in MS67.

I

• Options

@Inspired70 said:

@cnncoins said:

CNN is right. This is the 1897 from RR. Was able to secure this one for the collection. Only significant toned 1897 I have ever seen and also quality in MS67.

I

This was another outstanding coin from the auction (especially for someone doing a date or complete set). It’s by far the finest toned 1897 I have seen. Also, it only went for 2x a normal white one. Get a + on that and you’ll more than double your money!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file