Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Can someone explain this low PSA grade to me.

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum so any help would be appreciated. I recently submitted a Pokemon card to be graded and just got it back as a VG 3. I know there are never guarantees on the grade but I honestly thought it would be an 8 or 9 so that seems like a huge drop. I figured when they posted that grade that it was either a label error or the card had been damaged during shipping since a lot of 3s have creases or bends in them and the card I sent was mint condition. However I just got it back and it looks to be in perfect condition, i see one tiny white spec on the back of the card and maybe an indent so small you can kind of see it under the right angel but surely that can't be enough to give a card a 3. I have attached pictures of my card (Regice Gold Star). Can anyone please help me understand why it got graded so low? I know you can submit for review but to be honest I don't think i am willing to pay again and wait another 4 months. P.S. I also have a PSA 8 and two 9s of other cards and the 3 looks better than all of them. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 3:23PM

chipped border. back, top right corner shows a lot of wear/discoloration of blue, looks like a heavy surface scratch thru "p" on top pokémon? could be on the holder. and is that dirt on the front bottom right area after the word "benched". can't tell if that's design or on card from use. don't know pokémon.

i would also venture out to say there's a surface wrinkle somewhere on the card. grab a loop, bright light and view at every possible angle.

eta: should the front yellow borders all be the same. looks like there is whiting from finger wear from the cards being held, dealt, played with? again, i don't know pokémon.

• Hey thank you for the comment however the only thing you mentioned that I think is correct is the small chip which is allowed on 9s and 8s. The scratch on the P is on the holder when they sent it back not the card. Also the discoloration by the "benched" is actually a rocky design on the card itself, same with the white on either side, you can tell since they are so uniform. This card was never played at all went straight from pack to case. And for the discoloration on the top right my apologies was just glare from a bad camera angle, I attached a better one. Again I really appreciate
    the input but none of that really justifies a grade of 3, still looks like a 9 or 8 so I'm confused.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

keep in mind, it's just an opinion. crack it out and resub! 😉

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I may be wrong but I am seeing something on the left front just above the corner opening.

• Unless there's some impression we can't see from the photos taken I'd crack and resubmit, since even 6s are $200+

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

There may also be some surface scratching that they spotted. Plus, it seems they are very hard on the blue bordered back of these cards.

• @remedylane said:
    Those corners are super rounded...

Yes Pokemon cards are supposed to be rounded on the corners.

• For me this looks like a 6 or 7 at least I really don't know what happened, I would try it again with Beckett.