Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Opinions, and what would you do with these

I bought these years ago, and yes I know they are 3rd party repacks, and have very little pack value if any. But as a Nolan Ryan pack collector I wanted the anyway. To me the centering on the 1968 Nolan Ryan looks good, but I would like others opinions, and would like to know what you would do with these?

Comments

• Options

If you bought them years ago, I'd say that the Koosman & Ryan card would look great encapsulated.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, no value as unopened IMHO. Would rip and send.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get them out of those wrappers and get them into good solid holders. I have often wondered about the long term safety of cards in rack/cello packs. pretty sure they are not of archival quality and maybe they have acidic properties. I wonder if they are made of vinyl or PVC?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 2:59PM

what are the odds that both ryan cards ended up smack dab in the middle cells back in the 70s and never actually opened on christmas. and it's funny, of all these xmas racks out there i've never seen one filled out w "from santa claus to johnny".

while nothing more than a novelty, i'd say keep closed as the display piece. the koosman rc does look nice, but there's a million psa 6s out there. you can probably resell (described honestly and properly) and get more than you would for a psa 6 and cost of grading/shipping.

• Options

good luck , hope the ryan rookie is actually a real card and not a reprint. these repackaged "packs" with 60's and 70's cards were done in very recent years. the 54-63 repackaged "packs" were probably done sometime in the 70's so you know you were getting legit cards in those and not reprints.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some have had great success with these, however it seems the more recent ones have been disappointing.

The Ryan rookie looks pretty good!

@blurryface said:

the koosman rc does look nice, but there's a million psa 6s out there. you can probably resell (described honestly and properly) and get more than you would for a psa 6 and cost of grading/shipping.

1968 PSA 6's go for $1,000.00-$1,500.00. I seriously doubt you will get anywhere near that for a raw one. Too many fakes out there.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Some have had great success with these, however it seems the more recent ones have been disappointing.

The Ryan rookie looks pretty good!

@blurryface said:

the koosman rc does look nice, but there's a million psa 6s out there. you can probably resell (described honestly and properly) and get more than you would for a psa 6 and cost of grading/shipping.

1968 PSA 6's go for $1,000.00-$1,500.00. I seriously doubt you will get anywhere near that for a raw one. Too many fakes out there.

correct. and let's not forget, that's actually landing the 6 in the first place. that's a huge what if. psa 5s are $5-700. you also need to factor in the $125 in the two shipping/ins costs, the grading fees along w tvm and the fact it's gonna be 4-6 months before it even gets back.

i'd take my chances leaving as is and letting the display piece guy and/or the degenerate gambler have at it.