Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

brand new dirty slabs...

just a psa for psa. not talking smack, but this definitely needs to get addressed as its a gut punch to what should be a joyous occasions.

posted previously about receiving subs back where the top and bottom slabs look like death.

heres my recent one card sub. pictures dont even do justice to how horrible it looks in hand:

please todd! fwd to the powers that be!

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

are those smudges on the card itself or the inside of the slab?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2020 11:51AM

again, hard to get a pic that shows all the smudges in one shot/angle:

feel like i need my covid mask on:

• Options

@craig44 said:
    are those smudges on the card itself or the inside of the slab?

they are on the outside. however, they arent just a simple wipe. it requires the meguires to get them looking like they should.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

very strange. so they are not just fingerprints? I wonder what would have caused this? some sort of cleaner/disinfectant or maybe a bad batch of slabs?

Sorry that happened to you.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2020 11:47AM

@craig44 said:
    very strange. so they are not just fingerprints? I wonder what would have caused this? some sort of cleaner/disinfectant or maybe a bad batch of slabs?

Sorry that happened to you.

it's been happening for a while. definitely not a bad batch of slabs. i think it has to do w the new clear bubble wrap that's inside. this was a one card sub so obviously happened to the front and back. but if it were a multi card sub, it would only happen to the front of the 1st card in the sub and the back of the last card in the sub. i made another post somewhere, forget exactly where, about starting to insert "burner" cards to start and end subs with. again, if it were just a simple wipe, i wouldn't even be here.

when i'm back at the office, i'm gonna try to recreate it using the packing material. if that's not it, then it's some sort of "robotic feeder" that's loading the cards into the box or something like that.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Do those ghostly white donuts on the card really actually move around like that ? Well THAT would freak me out more than the annoying smudges.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2020 12:32PM

i like getting freaked out. probably my favorite emotion.

halloween's also my favorite holiday, so...

but i think that donut you are referring to is my overhead magnification light and it's reflection.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Beer goggles work better than any silly light or magnification for checking quality of cards prior to sending in for grading.

• Options

i like being blinded by the donut though. stare straight into it.

but mama, thats where the fun is.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

yea ive noticed these too recently and yes they are NOT a simple wipe. they do require some hard buffing or meguiars to finally wipe off. I thought it was actually defective plastic at first but now that @blurryface brings it up, it may be the bubble wrap causing it. I recall my last sub, I think only one slab had it but it was indeed front and back.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

A good majority of my latest slabs had light scratching on the fronts of the cases...half of the presentation of a graded card is the case -- I wish they could figure out why we can't get all clean cases when we get our cards back...no reason cases should have smudges all over them or scratches on them...if the encapsulator machine is doing it, then it needs to be adjusted/fixed I would think.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2020 1:23PM

another 1 card sub back in hand. slab clean as can be, front and back.

completely different type of bubble wrap used as filler.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    another 1 card sub back in hand. slab clean as can be, front and back.

completely different type of bubble wrap used as filler.

How 'bout that? Sounds like it was the bubble wrap! Glad it's improved for you--and others. That's gotta be a real drag to wait anxiously and have one of life's simple little pleasures smudged away.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella