Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When did this all happened

Ok growing up in early 90's. The cards to get if you wanted the best of cal ripken you get 82 topps traded ken griffey jr you get 89 upper deck frank thomas 90 leaf. When did it become 89 bowman Tiffany was the better one and 90 bowman Tiffany I feel a shame I never heard of Tiffany sets till much much later. It was the same 98 football you want for sp authentic but that was overtaken by playoffs contenders. Sorry for the long read.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020 1:21PM

similar to the original gi joe figs. today the most valuable one wasnt the most popular one back then. it's gi nurse. why? because no lil boy wanted to play w the girl nurse and certainly didn't keep them. so itsofacto, it naturally became the rarest one to complete the collections today thereby making it the most expensive and hardest to obtain.

while this guy is a lil high in every aspect, here's just the box for $3250. usually the fig and box themselves fetch $4-5k while any other fig tops out around a $1k.

• Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

oh wow thanks for the info

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is correct. supply is so much lower for the tiffany sets, especially in high grade. that holds true for the entire tiffany run from 84-91. check out prices on 84 mattingly, 85 Mcgwire, puckett, clemens, 86 traded, 89 griffey, 90 thomas, 91 jones. all are the key rookies of each player. the Mcgwire is a 5 figure card in PSA 10. the one exception, I believe, is the 86 TT bonds. his 87 OPC in PSA 10 would be his key rookie. a condition rarity.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.